AkriRisen
Newly Registered

Help, spiders on young mint plant

I bought a small potted spearmint a few weeks ago, and just recently I noticed a spider living in what looks like the soil in/under the pot. It is small (about 3-5 mm) and black/Brown, with what looks like yellow stripes... when I was looking some more today, I noticed some smaller, translucent ones about 1-2 mm. I've heard that white vinegar and water kills spiders, so I was thinking of trying that, but I am not sure how that will affect the plant, or if the spiders would be spider mites? I really don't want to cause any damage to the plant, as a large portion died off after I stayed at a friend's for a few days and no one watered it, so I have been trying to get it back up to health. I love in a rather warm and humid area, and the plant has been outside the while time. Anyone know what I could do?

applestar
Mod

If it’s big enough to see, it’s likely actual spider and not spidermite. If under the pot then probably a ground living spider — some Like to use the drain hole. If it’s warm where you are the tiny ones could be hatchlings.

Personally I leave spiders alone unless I know for sure that it is a venomous type — not many of those in my area — or they are in nuisance spot that could scare one of my DD’s who is very afraid of spiders. I love it when they make a nest/home in out of the way spot on or near my plants because they will catch and eat the pests that will attack my plants.

Every spring in my garden, there is a hatching event of garden spiders — just like in Charlotte Web, the tiny babies spin a sail-silk and fly away. They are ravenous and will eat each other if they don’t scatter quickly, and any tiny bugs — like aphids and fleabeetles, and pest bug larvae are swept up by them as well. It’s only when they are that tiny that they will also eat teeny pests like spider mites. I love seeing those new members of my Garden Patrol.

imafan26
Mod

Garden spiders are one of the good guys catching insects. I would leave it alone.

AkriRisen
Newly Registered

Thank you guys for the help :D . I'm going to keep an eye on the spider, and make sure it isn't poisonous as we do have a few of those nearby, but as long as it isn't I'll just leave the spider be.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”