BOUDREAUJAZZ
Newly Registered

herb garden in the shade

I planted a shade garden last spring, and started right from the ground (HA!) up with loam, compost, etc., so am having a great deal of success with it.

I would now like to plant the side of the house, which is on the NE side, only 6' wide on average, and the other 'side' of the strip is a 6' fence that almost completely shades the area. Part of it (on one side of a large tree), I will plant with shade tolerant ground cover and a few shade plants, but I want to plant an herb garden in the other part (more exposed to the sun). I realize that herbs are generally sun lovers, but I don't mind taking the chance of planting with the hopes that it will thrive. This area gets a couple of hours of filtered sun in the summer months. Am I wasting my time trying to get herbs to grow here?

The ones I would like to grow:
lavender
rosemary
thyme
oregano
sage
shiso

Thanks!

Barb[/img]

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

I've never grown shiso but with "a couple hours of filtered sun" you definitely would be wasting your time with the rest of your list. They may not outright die but they won't prosper.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

BOUDREAUJAZZ wrote:I planted a shade garden last spring, and started right from the ground (HA!) up with loam, compost, etc., so am having a great deal of success with it.

I would now like to plant the side of the house, which is on the NE side, only 6' wide on average, and the other 'side' of the strip is a 6' fence that almost completely shades the area. Part of it (on one side of a large tree), I will plant with shade tolerant ground cover and a few shade plants, but I want to plant an herb garden in the other part (more exposed to the sun). I realize that herbs are generally sun lovers, but I don't mind taking the chance of planting with the hopes that it will thrive. This area gets a couple of hours of filtered sun in the summer months. Am I wasting my time trying to get herbs to grow here?

The ones I would like to grow:
lavender
rosemary
thyme
oregano
sage
shiso

Thanks!

Barb[/img]
The only herbs I know that will grow in the conditions you have are mints. Try Corsican mint as a ground cover, and plain ol' spearmint, as well as some varieties of mint: Chocolate mint, "Kentucky Colonel", and many others--those 2 are my favorites. Mint will spread, so be prepared to keep after it with pulling, to keep it in bounds.

NewjerseyTea

Sweet cicely (Myrrhis odorata) and Chervil are both shade herbs.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”