New@gardening17
Newly Registered

New at gardening, help me with my basil please

Hello. I am very new at gardening and I have started with basil, peppers and rosemary. But the stem of two of my basil have a brownish streak. I am not sure if they are sick or over watered. In the same pot I have a few new basil growing. Can someone tell me if my basil is sick? What should I do? Will the little basils be damaged as well?
I'll take any advice on basil, hot peppers or rosemary.
I am very thankful for all you knowledgeable folks. I'm hoping someone can help me out.
I have attached images.
Attachments
IMG_8524.JPG
IMG_8525.JPG

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I think that the basil has fusarium wilt.

A unique stain of this fungus attacks basil and I don't believe that it will bother your other plants. I have been successful at keeping basil alive with this disease by burying the infected part of the stem with soil. I don't think that your tiny seedlings have much of a chance, however.

The best thing I have done to combat fusarium wilt is to grow basil that is resistant. There is a new resistant variety every year or so. I don't know if there is an effective chemical treatment. This disease is such a common and frequent problem that it just doesn't make sense for me to grow the types that are susceptible.

Steve

New@gardening17
Newly Registered

Thank you Steve

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”