SuzVice
Newly Registered

Odd white-ish shell thing on my basil stems

I smushed the things before taking a picture. They appeared to "bleed" when I crushed them. Does this sound familiar and how do I keep them off my basil? I have 3 basil plants in pots, not next to each other but some distance apart yet, this shell looking thing was on each of my plants. Thank you! I am new to this group and appreciate your help and your patience if this was responded to in another post - I did look but didn't find such a topic. -helpsos-

applestar
Mod

It could have been wooly aphid which is red under the fuzz, or maybe mealybug. If only a few, just keep sharp eye on the plants, inspect often and remove as you did. Spraying the foliage with water from the hose or holding upside down with pot/container wrapped and swishing is another way.

Depending on level of infestation, it's also Ok to just cut off an infested part of the plant, especially something like Basil that grows back readily.

Having "things" on the harvest -- When using the herb, wash three times by swishing around in deep bucket or bowl of water. I always wash at least twice, most often three times. Depending on the crop, brief soak in salted water is also good way to get the bugs to let go and/or come out.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Did the "things " move? If not, maybe scale insects. They are vulnerable to being wiped down with rubbing alcohol.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”