al3tte

Mediterranean Herbs and Rainy Season

I have several Mediterranean Herbs in pots with attached saucers on my deck. It's supposed to rain for the next several days : should I bring them in or just make sure to empty the saucers? I'm a little concerned they'll get waterlogged as they don't really require much water. :|

TIA :mrgreen:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Take them out of the saucers! I know they are attached, but if they are the plastic pots, you can usually just pop the saucers off.

If you have rainy days, you are not going to be able to go out and empty the saucers often enough to keep your herbs from sitting in water. If you can't get the saucers off, then bring them in somewhere where they won't get so rained on. That can be just under a bench or a webbed deck chair or whatever. They don't have to be completely dry, just not waterlogged and soggy. It helps if you have them in cactus mix or some other sandy/mineral mix that is not going to hold on to water.

al3tte

They drain super well, there are 3-4 drainage holes in the sides that empty into the saucer. I empty them several times a day until they stop draining and most seem to be doing fine. I will move them under the bench they are on though, that's a good idea. (They are ceramic pots with attached saucers so I can't remove them. This was an intentional decision knowing they'd be higher maintenance.)
However I have noticed more gnats hanging out on the soil of my bay laurels. Should I bring them inside and spray them with neem/dry them out completely for a bit? I was spraying with neem regularly as we have had some spider mite problems this year but the rain is washing them off too often I think and the neem may exacerbate by adding moisture. I have thyme, rosemary, parsley, chives, and oregano all in the same type of pot and near each other at the moment but the bay are the only ones with the issue (thus far). I'm not worried yet as they are not in distress and still producing new growth, but just trying to be proactive before the gnats become a problem!
Thank you for the help :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yeah, those would be fungus gnats. They will go away if the soil dries out. Perhaps you can put some kind of plastic cover over the soil for a little while so that it can dry out?

al3tte

I ended up bringing them in. It has been raining HARD every 1 to 2 days. I have them on a table in front of a sunny window and they seem fine. I rotate them daily so they'll get even sun and I'll be spraying them with neem in a couple of days after they dry out a bit more.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”