suzume
Newly Registered

White patches + Black spots on Thyme leaves

Good afternoon everyone,

This is my first time growing a herb plant, and I've been noticing an increasing number of leaves with white patches. So far, I've caught some small insects on the leaves and got rid of them, but will the leaves survive/be fit for consumption?

Also, the newer leaves that have been growing after I prune the plant have been blackening and withering, and I'm at my wits' end! Would anyone have any advice to help my poor thyme? :(

My thyme plant is grown indoors as the corridors outside my apartment do not get much (or even any) sun. I usually move it to get several hours of morning sun as well as an hour or so of afternoon sun. The small insects I've caught are all about 1/3 of a fully grown thyme leaf in size, and have a translucent look to them, and they were all found on the underside of the leaves. I water the thyme weekly with about half a cup of water.

Thank you in advance for your help! :oops:
Attachments
the white patches on some leaves
the white patches on some leaves
This was the best photo I could get of one of the branches that had withering new leaves, I pruned the others in an attempt to damage control :(
This was the best photo I could get of one of the branches that had withering new leaves, I pruned the others in an attempt to damage control :(

applestar
Mod

Definitely something is eating them -- the patches look scraped -- so I'm thinking thrips, which is a pest that is not very familiar to me but fits. The blackened, shriveled damage seem consistent with what happens to the foliage after the pest has been chewing on them.

I don't know the best treatment, but one of the first things I try with pest infested herbs is just rinsing the leaves. Cover the pot and soil to prevent falling out/washing away, then you could try running water or if you have spray attachment in the kitchen sink, try that, or use a hand sprayer. Try warmer -- not too warm -- water, try laying the pot on its side and trailing the foliage in a bowl or dishpan and running water into the container to swirl it -- like washing hair.

You can also hold the pot upside-down and dunk the foliage in a bowl or bucket. Basically try to get them off the plant. If you use white or black container, it's easier to see.

I might try a few other things but since I'm not familiar with thrips, if that's what they are, let's see if someone else has suggestions for best treatment.

suzume
Newly Registered

Good afternoon applestar,

After doing a search, the insects I found were definitely thrips! Thank you for the tips and identification, I might do the foliage rinse tomorrow before they get their morning sun :)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”