noz03

What kind of mint is this?

I bought a mint plant from the supermarket last month that was labled simply "Mint", but it somehow looked different to what I think of as standard garden mint, and when I tasted the leaves they are extremely bitter and very different from what I normally use in my mojitos. So I am assuming I have a different kind. But what kind is it, and what is the use of a barely minty and extremely bitter mint?

I hate to waste things so am considering to dry it in the oven and see if that helps. Any suggestions?

Here is a picture:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It looks like peppermint, with the round leaves, as spearmint is more pointed. Not sure about the bitterness of it, though that often occurs after flowering.

imafan26
Mod

It may be the erecta form of pennyroyal. Most mints are sprawling and not growing up. Erecta grows up rather than trails and it has a bitter flavor. Peppermint and spearmint both taste like gum or toothpaste. You said yours tasted bitter and not like what you expected. Peppermint is an easily recognizable flavor and scent.

Pennyroyal like most other mints, is invasive but it is supposed to be deterrent to pests. It is supposed to deter ants, but I see ants in mint all the time. It is supposed to be more effective in deterring pests when the leaves are dried.
https://www.motherearthnews.com/natural- ... yal-safety
https://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pennyr23.html

applestar
Mod

I think this one looks like peppermint, too, although my peppermints have much darker purple/mahogany colored stems.

Spearmint is definitely sweeter and peppermint as the name implies has a sharper flavor. More recognizable by scent rather than flavor I think. I like peppermint for anesthetic/calming properties when used externally as well as internally as herbal tea for digestion.

Spearmint is the original mint used for mint juleps I believe, and would definitely be closer to mojito mint I think, though I am still looking for that specific kind of mint.

Trying to figure out where "sweet mint" fits into the different culinary mints.

imafan26
Mod

If you like mojito try to get the lime mint. It goes well with that.

noz03

applestar wrote:
Spearmint is definitely sweeter and peppermint as the name implies has a sharper flavor. More recognizable by scent rather than flavor I think. I like peppermint for anesthetic/calming properties when used externally as well as internally as herbal tea for digestion.
Just to add a little info about the taste. I'm no expert but I don't think it tastes like peppermint or chewing gum. It tastes very mildly like regular garden mint when I first put it in my mouth, but after a few bites a strong bitterness comes out that makes it inedible for me. I might try using some in tea to see if that is any better. Otherwise I guess throwing it out is the only option.

applestar
Mod

Couple of other options if you don't like the flavor but like the scent -- fill a jar with the mint and then cover with unscented (or compatibly scented) -- shampoo, conditioner, liquid hand soap, or dish washing liquid. Let steep overnight or longer, then strain back into the original container.

Cover with vodka or rubbing alcohol for minty soothing/cooling/anesthetic/antiseptic wipe -- can be used for aching muscles, too. Don't use on open wound -- it will hurt.

I use mixture of plantain, jewelweed and peppermint covered with witch hazel extract for itchy rashes like insect bites and poison ivy.

I toss any blemished stems and leaves just outside the back door and sometimes toss/sweep them under the outside door mat as "strewing herb".

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

If it is pennyroyal you don't want to eat it or drink tea made from it! Pennyroyal can be toxic to humans.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”