AngeeJoJo

How to trim this new grown Arabian jasmine branch?

I brought this Arabian jasmine plant a month ago, was very happy it bloomed and they smell lovely. Then I noticed this new spout, and very soon it has grown to 2 foot tall! I believe it should be trimmed, but where? Also my plant isn't producing as much flower as I first brought it, is there anything I can do?
Attachments
IMG_5554.JPG
IMG_5553.JPG
IMG_5552.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jasmine is a kind of shrubby vine. Throwing up long vining shoots is its normal growth pattern. Why would you want to trim it?

Give it something to climb.

When you bought it, it had been forced into profuse flowering to make it showy for sale, by some combination of fertilizers, lighting hours, etc. It may never look exactly like that, but if you take good care of it, it will bloom more than it is now.

It would benefit from being outside during the growing season, in a spot with at least part sun. It probably needs a bigger pot. I had a jasmine vine that I brought in for the winter for several seasons and out in the warm seasons. It eventually died. Only then did I discover that the pot was so full of roots there was hardly any soil left.

What are the eggshells in the pot for? If you think you are adding calcium, that only works if you crush up the eggshell and mix it in the soil and then it is still very slow release.

AngeeJoJo

Thank you rainbowgardener, but I have already cut it :eek: My research seem to tell me they need to be cut to force more new flowers, and the egg shells :() are from other pictures I have seen, I will crush it from now. Thank you for you advice, I'll keep this post updated.

applestar
Mod

You are going to need to put this plant in a much larger container....

AngeeJoJo

Will do!

imafan26
Mod

I know that plant as pikake. It is sampagita in the Philippines, and jasminum sambac. What the others said is true. It is a shrubby vine. We usually trellis it or you can trim it to keep it more shrubby. It is a seasonal bloomer and it does bloom on new wood. It is not frost tolerant but does like to be outdoors in either full sun or partial shade if it is hot. It will need a bigger pot.

I have the rose pikake. It is blooming now. It is not as prolific as the double or single but it has a nice compact form. Only the single pikake is suitable for lei.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/OF-29.pdf

AngeeJoJo

Thank you all for great information. Anyone knows what kind of soil to repot it?

AngeeJoJo

Just to follow up. After cutting new branch, it has grown 2 fresh branch on it. And every flowers fell now growing new ones.
Attachments
IMG_5661.JPG
IMG_5660.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Pikake likes well drained soil, so a well drained potting mix will do. For flowering plants I like to use 8-24-8 in pots, but any all purpose food will do. The leaves look dark green. Try to gradually move it into more sun and trim it after blooming to make it bushy and more compact. It is a summer bloomer. It does not really bloom year round. The lei pikake you have makes good leis.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”