al3tte

Indoor Basil - Sunburn or Disease?

Hello :)

I've had this little guy on my kitchen windowsill for a couple months now. It's been thriving in a 6 inch pot and I was just about to move it outdoors when I plant my herbs today. But, when inspecting it first out of habit, I noticed some yellowy spots on a few leaves. It sort of looks like sunburn, but also not really. Though it is by the sink so it's possible that it's gotten splashed and then rotated and burned as I do rotate my kitchen sink guys regularly to give more even exposure.

I definitely don't want to put this outside if it's diseased, this will be my first year planting herbs outside at this house and I don't want to contaminate the soil on my first try :(

Halp!
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not sunburn. Have you checked closely for tiny insects? It could be the marks left behind by sucking insects.

al3tte

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Insects, or dirt?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope, not dirt either. Dirt would be on the surface. Note how your marks are like shallow holes or gouges dug into the leaf surface.

al3tte

After more research, thinking it might be some kind of mite, maybe spider mites. Sprayed off in the sink, then sprayed with a 1:1 alcohol/water solution. No signs on other plants. Quarantined across the house for now just in case.

Any thoughts?

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”