aaron4osu
Newly Registered

Growing herbs in small pots. How small is too small?

I want to grow herbs on my lanai which is pretty narrow. I was wondering if I can grow herbs successfully in small 5" pots. I wanted to have 2 or 3 of these ikea socker plant stands (each with 13 pots) to have a wall of herbs. These seem really small to me and I'm assuming they would need to be watered daily in the florida summer heat...which I guess I'm ok with. But is this too small for most herbs to grow outside in florida heat?

I didn't really want to have larger planters sitting on the ground due to a lack of space.

thoughts?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 11.30.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 11.30.41 AM.png (97.6 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Should be OK for annual and smaller herbs - basil, cilantro, chervil, German chamomile, dill, summer savory, chives. ONE plant per pot. You might mix it up by planting a few of the pots with flowers like mini-petunias, etc.

The perennial herbs like sage, oregano, thyme, rosemary, mint would rapidly outgrow them.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Tue May 02, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

Small pots will dry out faster so you will need to keep an eye on them especially in hot weather. Thyme, oregano, mint, and marjoram are herbs that trail and can handle some heat. Rosemary, summer savory, sage, parsley, and green onions will grow more upright.
The herbs will eventually outgrow their containers and have to be divided and potted up or given away if you don't have the space.
Cilantro can be grown in the cooler months but they bolt in the heat of summer.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”