willy.nopp
Newly Registered

Help! Basil: Pale Yellow, Spotty, and Weak

Hi,

I am a first time herb gardener, to start off with. I started my herbs (sweet basil, thai basil, cilantro, and oregano) from seeds. I used an organic seed starting mix and started them out in peat pots under a grow light. They were doing fine, until I noticed they were turning a lighter green color (mostly the basil and thai basil), which progressed into a yellow and then to a very pale yellow. (see pictures). When they reached the pale green stage, I repotted them in some top soil (which might not have been nutritious enough). Once the weather warmed up, I transplanted them to the raised bed garden. I noticed when I took them out that the soil was pretty moist.

After doing a lot of research I found that there could be numerous causes of yellowing. So I went to work ruling out possible scenarios. I did not notice any sort of bugs, or any mildew or fungus. The leaves were smooth and clean. So I am thinking that it could be that the soil lacks proper nutrition (NPK), they were overwatered, or they have transplant shock (which I did do a hardening off).

Today, I applied a subtle amount of plant food that contained NPK. I will see if this makes a difference.

I would appreciate any suggestions, observation, comments, experiences, etc. (I have attached pictures)

Thank you gardeners.

Basil:
IMG_9950.JPG
IMG_7721.JPG
Thai Basil:
IMG_2818.JPG
Pepper Plant:
IMG_0417.JPG

Amanda Doofenshmirtz

To me, this looks like a nitrogen deficiency. I hope I am right because it is easy to fix by adding nitrogen. It is also the only way to fix it. When you see fertilizers with a # - # - # I (such as 16 -16 -16) it is the NPK ratio. This is the % of Nitrogen(N), Phosphorus(P) and Potassium(K) in the fertilizer, in that order. (16-16-16= 16% N, 16% P and 16% K.) So do NOT pick a fertilizer with a "0 - # - #" because it will have no nitrogen. However, I think you may be hard pressed to find something like that. If I am correct, adding nitrogen will help alot.

I think it is a nitrogen deficiency because of the yellowing. The bottom picture looks like the yellowing started at the tip, and moved down the veins of the leaf. It will effect the oldest leaves 1st, but since these plants are young, all the leaves are the oldest part of the plant. So, if these were my plants, I would start by fertilizing with a product that has a little N, a little P and a little K (no zeros in the # - # - #) and see if that helps. If it does not, at least you removed a variable, and you will know that a nutrient deficiency is not the problem. But I think it is, and I hope it is, because it's easy to fix and provides a great learning experience. I am learning lots about fertilizers as a Hort major. I used to never use the stuff, but now I am trying to use it more. I hope you have a bountiful harvest! Best wishes!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I didn't see your post until it was brought back up.

I agree, there's a good chance it's a nutrient deficiency:

" I used an organic seed starting mix and started them out in peat pots under a grow light. They were doing fine, until I noticed they were turning a lighter green color (mostly the basil and thai basil), which progressed into a yellow and then to a very pale yellow. (see pictures). When they reached the pale green stage, I repotted them in some top soil "

To start with, seed starting mix is sterile, no nutrients. I don't use it because of that. If you start your seeds in seed starting mix, then you have to either start fertilizing right away as soon as they have true leaves or you have to transplant them right away to a regular potting mix with nutrients. So I just start seeds in regular potting mix. They do fine that way and I prefer to have the nutrients there waiting for them. Sounds like you left them in the sterile mix until they were starving.

Then you planted them into top soil, which 1) probably had very limited nutrients and 2) is very bad in pots. It is too heavy/dense for pots, holds water too much, packs down, excludes oxygen, etc.

Since you wrote in six weeks ago (sorry! :oops: ) whatever was going to happen has happened. I hope your little plants responded well to your "subtle" fertilizing and are happier now.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”