THeGAME
Newly Registered

Home Re-siding Toxins and Edible Plants?

Hello there!
I have a question about toxins transferring into edible plants.

To make a long story kind of short, Ive got a12x6ft area outside my apartment that certain plants love to grow in. Its a combo of dirt, sand and clay, and most of what I put there just takes hold and goes wild. I live in a temperate rain Forrest aside Puget Sound.

Around three years ago, I came into a few different kinds of sprouting herbs and vegetables and threw them in the dirt and they have been growing very well. Red Onion, Leeks, and Chives. The Chives are what I'm most worried about.

A year ago, our apartment was sold, and the new owner had both the roofing and the siding redone. Any cover put over the plants was shabby at best, and I'm worried about consuming the edible plants. There are still small paint flecks on the ground still. The plants are pleasant to look at, but are they safe to eat? We get a lot of rain here so I'm worried about lead and other contaminates getting into the plant. I havent eaten anything since before then. The plants look very healthy, and Id love to cook with them and share with friends.

I know there are some plants that are very difficult to contaminate.

What do you think?
Safe, or should I just enjoy the green and start over in a new area or pot. Granted, I have no idea of the condition of the soil before I moved in either.

Please advise!
Thanks!!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

If there are paint flecks on the ground I'm sure there are paint flecks on the plants. My concern would be eating the paint flecks.

I would get some large pots and grow plants in those. The pots could be moved if any more work needs to be done on the building.

Plant some flowers in the ground. Even if you can't grow food crops there you can have something pretty to look at.

THeGAME
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply..
That crop of Chives has been trimmed and is gone. This is a new batch that has sprouted. Its almost a wild plant now, seeding its self. The area around it has been cleaned up. What I'm worried about are toxins in the soil being absorbed into the plant.

Ive tried to research if this could happen, making the Chives contaminated in its genetic level, but finding specifics like that is really hard on the net.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”