Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I had very good luck with herbs growing in pots this year.

For years all my herbs died in TN. After living in AZ for 3 years I learned how to grow herbs. Most herbs like desert conditions just like growing cactus. I planted herbs in 1 gallon pots last summer left them on the patio where they get morning sun and shade after lunch the rest of the day. They did good all summer I never watered them much rain was about 90% of their water source. They did good right up until cold weather. I ignored them during winter I figured they would die but they did not. They survived the 2 weeks of 4 degree weather, snow, ice, rain, we had 2 weeks of 75 degree weather now it is 22 degrees again and my herbs are looking good. 2 weeks of 75 degree weather made them grow. Looks like plants are all going to live another year. I have oregano, thyme, and parsley. I think I will plant Marjoram from seed I can not find plants, marjoram taste a lot like oregano only stronger flavor. 2 teaspoons of oregano = 1 teaspoon of marjoram flavor is slightly different.

imafan26
Mod

I have grown most of my herbs in pots for years. I just separated the marjoram seedlings I planted in January. I have a rosemary in a large pot and it is about 3 ft tall. I have a Jamaican oregano in the ground. I do have some problems with the dry herbs in pots like thyme and sage. I just have to keep planting new ones. I think my problem is more that they get too much rain and the soil is not alkaline enough. My mom has no problem growing sage and thyme but she lives in a drier place and she sprinkles twice a day.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

For years I have grown many of my herbs in 4 windowsill boxes set around my deck, mainly so that I could get them much easier, when needed. Several basils (Serrata basil is my favorite for these boxes, as well as hydroponics, as it is short, bushy, and slow bolting), chives, garlic chives, sage, cilantro (until it gets hot out), and a number of others I've grown intermittently. This year, I've switched to junior Earthboxes around the rails of the deck, so production should be even better.

applestar
Mod

Everyone's container herb gardening sound great! I love marjoram, too gary350. I need to bring them inside for the winter here, however.

I have to go back to growing culinary sage. I like the colored sages, too tri-color and purple, but those don't seem to make it through the winter outside. My plain sage died a couple of years ago. Last year, I was going to replenish, but got stuck on finding out there are several varieties -- some named. What are your favorites for flavor?

Enjoy the overwintered parsley while they are still good, Gary. 2nd year parsley will bolt and become 3 foot plants. Numerous blooms attract beneficial insects, and you can collect the seeds later or let them self seed. I have a patch of baby parsley seedlings where mine bloomed last year. I will dig up and pot some up later for giving away and to have some in containers on the kitchen patio for easy access. Extras mean I feel no loss in letting black swallowtails use them and I can use them to transfer caterpillars that are eating other crops that I want to keep. And at the end of the season if I don't have room for them all, I plant them in the ground to hopefully survive the winter and bloom the following year. I keep wanting to try new varieties of parsley, but I haven't needed to actually buy any, so starting new parsley keep getting put on the back burner.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I grow a lot of my herbs in pots on the deck also. I have sage, rosemary, lavender, thyme, oregano, basil, tarragon, spearmint, fennel. Basil of course is long gone, but will be re-planted as soon as we get through this cold snap. All the rest overwintered, though it is going down to 24 degrees tonight, that may challenge the rosemary.

In the ground is parsley, now going into its second year, more basil at the appropriate time, lemon balm, anise hyssop, bee balm.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Rainbow, Rosemary that I had once survived 21 degrees so yours should be ok at 24. My cilantro always bolts early about 3rd week of June when temperature is 95 but I don't care I usually plant 5 plants just for seeds, seeds are a herb called coriander. I think I will grow cilantro in the shade this year maybe it won't bolt so soon it makes great Pico de gio, I can eat a large serving bowl of pico de gio like a big salad. A bowl of parsley makes a great salad too. This year I will have, marjoram, cilantro, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme. The herbs all make an excellent salad with onion, tomatoes, garlic, sliced squash.

imafan26
Mod

I love fresh herbs. I am so spoiled that I find the ones in the bottles to be tasteless. The only bottled herbs I make much use of are black pepper, cumin, cinnamon, poultry seasoning, fines herbs, cloves, bay leaf, and anise. From the garden I like the fresh rosemary, thyme, Mexican tarragon, oregano, mints, lemon grass, chili peppers, kaffir lime, ngo gai, cutting celery, green onions, ginger, roselle, and fennel . Bay leaves are better dried. Fresh dill, cilantro, borage, safflower, fenugreek, and shiso are seasonal.
I have a hard time growing basil now because of downy mildew. I tried Eleonora but while it lasted longer it still got the disease. I have to wait for a more resistant strain or get used to using holy basil since it is more resistant.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”