john gault
Green Thumb

Re: What kind of Mint?

I can't tell from that pic and it's a little small anyway, kind of hard to ID when small, but my first thought is that it MAY not be a mint. But then again, I'm just going off the mints I've grown....

applestar
Mod

They look like basil seedlings to me, but I've never tried starting mint from seeds.... how big were the seeds? -- mint seeds are like dust. If the seeds were shiny oval (and developed gel when soaked) then more likely basil.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, not normal. Sounds like they are in danger of damping off, from too much moisture. I'd get them out of the peat pot (I hate those, they are seedling killers). Give each one their own little pot, either clay or plastic and good potting soil.

I'm thinking not mint either. You should be able to tell - if the leaf is gently rubbed, basil has a distinctive fragrance, not "minty."

applestar
Mod

Hm... this is a pretty gimmicky product.
https://amzn.asia/2ZDjaLx

No way the tiny pot is going to be big enough.
So this is as good a time as any to uppot to good potting mix and larger pot -- if you want a Self watering planter, try making one out of a PET bottle. Your seedling is already big enough to handle the change.

...here are examples of ones I'm using...

You could get a package of more of the expanding peat or coir disks and re-use it in the cute starter for another plant. Note that you could poke a hole in the middle with a disposable chopstick (waribashi) etc. and try rooting a cutting of herbs and plants -- can you get really fresh sprigs of different kinds of mint and other herbs at the store? Some easy to root herbs are mint, basil, thyme, oregano ... you could also root base of green onions, garlic, onions (for greens) For fun, you could try growing stuff like rice and beans, peas.... radish seeds for microgreens (kaiware)....

applestar
Mod

Oh! For fun, you could stick a little spring blooming branch with flower buds -- like cherry or plum, peach.... This is called "forcing" and most of the time, the branch will have enough energy to bloom as long as you keep it from completely drying out, so it would look super cute in this set up. If you can't get a peat/coir disk, maybe just cut a piece of sponge or floral arrangement oasis to fit in the little kitty's backpack.

applestar
Mod

kerinnx3 wrote:Subject: What kind of Mint?
applestar wrote:Oh! For fun, you could stick a little spring blooming branch with flower buds -- like cherry or plum, peach.... This is called "forcing" and most of the time, the branch will have enough energy to bloom as long as you keep it from completely drying out, so it would look super cute in this set up. If you can't get a peat/coir disk, maybe just cut a piece of sponge or floral arrangement oasis to fit in the little kitty's backpack.
I don't know happened to my original account but same person here haha. What kind of soil do you recommend? I do want to repot them since I didn't think the small pot is big enough either.

applestar
Mod

Mod hat on -- I've started looking into why the OP has disappeared. -- mod hat off :wink:

Anyway -- potting mix. I don't know what's available where you live, but look for bagged mix that is intended for container growing. Personally I would choose ones for organic growing 有機栽培用 but your choice. Since this is an herb intended for harvesting leaves, avoid ones that are meant for flowering and fruiting plants as they would contain different ratio of fertilizers. You want one that is meant for leafy greens. OR ELSE -- get one that contains balanced fertilizer ratio and then plan on adding/using fertilizer that has more nitrogen later on.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”