cass2828

rosemary seeds planted

HI, Guys... I have planted 6 rosemary seeds... I was wondering how long does it take for it to germinate?? :-()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Unfortunately, rosemary is not one of the easier things to start from seed. The germination rate is low, so you will be doing well if your six seeds give you one to three plants. It is slow to germinate, anywhere from two weeks to a month. It needs to be in a very well drained medium, like vermiculite, sand, or maybe seed starting mix (very light potting mix). It needs to be kept warm all that time. I don't know what your temps are like right now, but if it is staying at least 25 deg C all the time (including at night), you could just have your tray outside. Otherwise it will need a heat mat. Once the seeds sprout, they either need to be in the sun or they need a light source.

Doesn't need to be this fancy, but it needs to be fluorescent (old-style incandescent is too hot), just a few inches above the seedlings, hung so it can be raised as the plants grow, on 16 hrs a day.

And the rosemary even once sprouted is very slow growing. I have grown it from seed, planted indoors under lights, in late January. Growing it out all through the season, the little plant is maybe three or four inches tall (7-10 cm) when I would have to bring it in for the winter. If it survives the winter and the transition back outdoors (I think you have very warm winters and don't have to worry about that part?) then the second year it will grow a lot more.

Really if you just want a couple rosemary plants (which is the most you are likely to get from your six seeds), it is way easier just to buy them from a good nursery. I really like starting plants from seed, but until you are good at it and have the right equipment (heat mats, lighting), there are a few things that are just best to let the experts start for you.

But if you can plant them outdoors and don't have to worry about light and heat, then go for it. In that case put a plastic cover over the pots and potting mix to keep humidity in, but remove it as soon as the first seed sprouts.

cass2828

Yup we have warm winters and I would absolutely love to buy Rosemary plants straight from the nursery but they don't sell Rosemary plants or any other vegetable here in Indian nurseries.. :oops: :roll: :? :cry:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Rosemary is probably easier to start from a cutting. Do you know someone with a rosemary plant who could give you a cutting? Do your grocery stores sell sprigs of fresh rosemary?

applestar
Mod

I agree. I usually use 1/2 to 2/3 sand mixed with potting mix. Cuttings should semi-woody -- brown but flexible bark, shaved off in strips from bottom 2 inches.

cass2828

:oops: Sorry...I don't know any one with a rose mary plant neither any of our grocery :oops: :cry: stores sell it

applestar
Mod

Bummer! Well, let's hope your six seeds make it! Follow rainbow's instructions above. She's done it before and knows what she's talking about. :D

Good luck. :bouncey:

cass2828

thanks applestar... I am trying a plate germination technique... if it didn't work I'll plant them in a tray... :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

plate germination?

cass2828

:clap: yup... I learnt it through a youtube channel its great channel!!!..

You just take a plate..and keep a paper towel or napkin on top and pour water slowy.. just to make it wet.. and sprinkle your seeds on it and cower the plate with seranwrap or any plastic wrap.. and keep it in a warm place...:) it has worked great for me :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK, but then once they have sprouted, you have to get them planted in sandy potting mix right away and either under lights or outdoors. That method is good for sprouting the seeds, but not for growing them after they sprout.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Growing rosemary from seed, just my experience.....
Agreed they are slow to germinate, and not easy. Once up, very slow in growth. I grow and sell herbs and other plants at the farmers market. Rosemary has been one of my less than successful! Once up I don't worry too much about the extra sandy well draining soil. We get lots of rain, and if up and going are fine in ground or pots. Well, this is borderline in temperature, and we sometimes lose some in a cold winter.

As for starting the seeds, I've heard both light and dark. I use the peat pellet trays, 10 or 12 per. So I plant two, put one in the light, one dark and see if any germinate! I'm lucky to get a few from each. The ones that make it with a true leaves graduate to 4" pots. They are kept with limited light sun or shade cloth until up and going.

cass2828

Thnx Susan..

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”