102christa
Newly Registered

companion planting distance

I'm starting a herb garden in containers about 50-60cm in diameter each. I've read a lot about keeping plants together and also keeping plants apart, for instance Basil and Rue shouldn't be near each other. But how far is far enough? Are we talking a meter or two? Across the street? Or is the fact that they are in different pots enough? Also how close is close enough? And then they say to keep Fennel apart from everything.... Poor guy! Since there's plants in most of my garden should I just put it in a room without any other plants? I want to do this right, but I'm so confused..... :? :? :?

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

You know, I don't think you need to follow all the rules so hard and fast. I would just check the size of each plant and give it space on at least 3 sides to grow. In those pots about 3 plants together will lend a nice 'full' look but give everything space to grow. I would also grow annuals with slower-growing perennials so that you can take them out the pots when the perennials get bigger. I often include violas with herbs as they are edible but they also die when it gets really hot but by then the basil or whatever gets really big anyway. Things like rosemary and lavendar need their own pots btw.

applestar
Mod

Good call. :D

One of the reasons they recommend not to plant near each other is when one plant attracts pests or are susceptible to diseases that can or tends to transfer to another. So keep that in mind, too.

There are different reasons. I think some of those recommendations also have more to do with after one has flowered (attracting beneficial insects that protect the other).

imafan26
Mod

Fennel can be planted near some plants like horseradish or ginger, they are not bothered as they either don't have many pests or attract a different kind of aphid.

Fennel is an aphid trap so it attracts aphids. They do not bother the fennel much as long as the fennel is healthy and the aphids are what the ladybug larvae feed on. The long lasting fennel blooms provide nectar for the adult ladybugs, lacewings, parasitic wasps, and tachinid flies. Fennel will provide protection to other plants in the garden for at least 50 ft. However, if plants are weak, they will still be attacked.

Fennel should be planted at least 10 feet from most other plants. Fennel and dill, will stunt plants near them once they bloom. Parsley relatives should not be planted near each other because they may cross and appparently that is not a good thing.
Fennel, dill, cilantro, and parsley should be separated from each other.

I usually plant families together because they like the same conditions. But if there are problems with disease or bugs, the entire family needs to be rotated out until the problem has subsided.

Plants that like the same sun, soil and water conditions can be planted together.

Invasive plants like mint need to be contained in a pot and they will takeover a pot planted with anything else.

Good combinations
Tomato and basil
Garlic or chives and roses
onions, beet, cabbage family, carrot, chard, lettuce, pepper, strawberry, tomato.
Some plants are known to be problematic
Onions will stunt beans and peas
strawberry and cabbage seem to stunt each other.

I prefer to keep plants with the same maturity next to each other since I don't like to have to work around the other plants in a small bed. Either that or I will plant an early maturing plant like lettuce or radish around a yound tomato or pepper since the tomato and pepper spacing is 18-30 inches and the early maturing plants will be taken out before they need the space.

Plants that take up a lot of space like vines need to be trellised up like tomatoes, cucumber, squash and gourds. Large plants like tomatoes take up a lot of garden space for a long time so I grow them outside the garden bed and save garden space for plants that don't take up as much room. The only exception is corn. Corn takes up most of the garden.

Plants that last a long time like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, green onions and herbs, I keep in pots or have them planted elsewhere in the yard. Fennel gets its' own corner. I keep strawberries in hanging baskets since I have to keep moving them to keep the snail from finding them and in summer they need afternoon protection.

Plants that need special soil conditions, I grow in pots

I mix vegetables and ornamentals and I plant some plants to attract or repel insects amongst the edible plants. I have mustard, crackerjack and dwarf french marigolds for nematodes, Four o'clock for rose beetles, Fennel to attract beneficial insects, basil is allowed to go to seed nectar for bees and beneficial insects. Alyssum, basil, cuphea, penta, Mexican oregano, and butterfly bush provide nectar for bees and butterflies for a long time because of their long bloom periods.

I have to move my butterfly bush because it is attracting too many butterflies to the cabbage

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”