102christa
Newly Registered

companion herbs for mint

I keep getting spider mites on my mint. I've started a herb garden in large containers outside. I've read that dill, cilantro, chives and garlic are good repellents for mites but can I plant it in the same pot with mint? I've already got some chives going in another container so can I just move some of them over? Will it affect the taste of the mint at all?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mint is not a good companion plant for much of anything. It rapidly takes over whatever pot it is in and crowds everything else out. If there is any repellent effect of the chives and garlic, it will work just about as well if the pots are just next to each other. For more effectiveness, puree some in some water. Let it sit and infuse awhile, then strain the solids out and spray on your mint.

For spider mite control, spray the plant with a soapy water solution (soap, not detergent which can burn your plants, dish "soap" is detergent). Water the leaves frequently and keep the plant well watered.

applestar
Mod

Is your herb garden indoors or outdoors? It helps to keep humidity on the higher side to discourage mites. Both indoors and out, grouping several containers together is one way to increase humidity, particularly for the plants in the middle of the group.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

it says "in large containers outside" :)

102christa
Newly Registered

Thanks guys! I want to grow as many herbs as I can so I'll surround the mint with the ones that deters the mites and I'll try the soap too. Unfortunately its very, very dry at the moment, no humidity to speak of and according to the weather guys another hot, dry summer ahead.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So that was the point of saying to water (or mist) the leaves frequently. Makes the local environment too humid for the spider mites.

applestar
Mod

Oops, I missed that part. Sorry! :>

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”