Jray8

Help my herbs are dying

First my thyme went from an 18 inch bush to all dried up and dead. I pulled the last few remaining live bits and replanted them.
Now my oregano doesn't look good. What can I do to help it. Should I cut it back? The way it's falling over I feel like a should steak it up or put a tomato cage around it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pictures would really help and more information about the conditions they've been in: in the ground, in pots, how much sun exposure per day, weather, watering, any other symptoms (leaves yellowing, spotting, curling)?

Offhand without any of that, one of the possibilities for your oregano plant not being sturdy is over watering.

imafan26
Mod

thyme and oregano are sprawling plants that like well drained soil. If they are not clipped regularly the centers will get woody and die out. I usually poke the trailing runners in the ground so they root. when the center gets woody I cut it out put in some soil mixed with compost and take some of the rooted runners and plant them in the middle.

In pots, I try to get a wide bowl. Unfortunately unless it is a terra cotta bowl, most wide plastic bowls have one drainage hole so I have to make more. I water every day so I use 50/50 peatlite and slow release fertilizer (osmocote or nutricote every 3-6 months). I poke the running stems in the bowl and usually they will root in two weeks so I can take them up and repot them in other pots. I have to remember to repot my center before it gets too woody or I will lose the plant. If I do, I usually still have some of the divisions to replace it or I buy another one. Thyme and oregano like to be in full sun in most places..

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”