beariebird
Newly Registered

Need help identifying (delicious) mystery herb!

I've been munching on what I thought was a fenugreek plant for a few months: it tastes bitter and maple-syrup-y, has clumps of three leaves, and yellow bunches of flowers. It started going to seed and I noticed that it didn't have the pods that Google tells me fenugreek has. Anyone have any idea what this is? I don't have a picture of the plant in its prime, but I've attached photos of what it looks like today in its sad old age. The only other possible match I found was chipilin, which also apparently has pods, so I don't think that's what it is either. It came in a "seed bomb", which supposedly only contained seeds from basil, dill, parsley, and cilantro. I'm 100% sure it's none of these.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Attachments
IMG_20160628_191343.jpg
IMG_20160628_191359.jpg
IMG_20160628_191415.jpg

mulderitsme
Location: Central Valley, California, zone 9, container/patio gardening

I am not the most experienced gardener, however, I'm pretty sure you are correct, that is fenugreek. By the look of it and the taste you describe. Otherwise possibly rue? But that's a bitter plant.

reclaimingmyexi
Newly Registered

I love to use an amazing app on my phone called Garden Compass to help me identify plants. You take a picture of it and send it in and their garden experts identify it and tell you a little about it. I'm curious to know if they agree that it's fenugreek and what they say about it.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”