Rhii

Why is my parsley yellow and droopy?

I planted in containers this year, to take advantage of the better sun on my patio (my backyard is basically full shade). I've grown parsley before in raised beds and in ground beds and had no issues, but never in containers. I bought a curley parsley plant pre-started about 4" tall and put it in a 2 gallon pot with a common sage of a similar size. In the past I've had huge bushy parsley plants in similarly crowded conditions, and grown it alongside various other herbs (usually sage, basil, dill or thyme). The sage is thriving, but the parsley is leggy, yellow and droopy. It's had the same sun and water conditions as the rest of my plants all of which are growing like gangbusters. I have never heard that I shouldn't pair parsley with sage but I'm wondering if that could be the issue?

I don't have a picture but I can try to get one tonight.

Any clues? .

applestar
Mod

Only thing I can think of is that the sage is hogging all of the limited available water. It seems to me a drought tolerant plant like sage would be hungrier -- equipped to absorb moisture more/better.

Rhii

I'll try to get a picture. The parts that aren't yellow are nice and stiff (I don't think stiff is the word I'm looking for?) They're not wilted, they just hang down instead of sticking up. And it's long stems but no leaves to speak of, and a few pieces are totally brown and crispy. At first I thought it was just from the transplant - but it's been two weeks and it's getting more weird and not less weird.

Thank you btw for your insight. It's nice to be able to ask, even if it's a mystery to you too!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”