Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Bee Balm, what to do with it? Does it flower?

A lady at a yard sale had the most wonderful beautiful herb garden. She said, Bee Balm makes beautiful flowers, humming birds like it, bees like it, and it has medical properties. Her Bee Balm plants were about 4 feet tall and sure did look nice. Her herb garden looks like a lot of work to keep it beautiful.

Can Bee Balm be eaten?

What is Bee Balm used for?

Does Bee Balm make flowers all summer?

I don't usually plant things I don't eat and not interested in plants that flower only 1 week then they are finished.

Her unknown variety of Oregano were 2 feet tall and looked very nice.

Are there any plants that make flowers none stop all summer?

imafan26
Mod

Bee balm is also called monarda. It attracts bees and butterflies and probably some other insects for the nectar. It has medicinal uses and is fragrant.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I have a plant called Bee Balm. I think that must be what you have. I picked up mine at the nursery. It is a good plant to have in the garden, so sounds like you found a good buy since you bought it at a yard sale. I prefer flowers that last throughout the summer too. I love my California Poppies. They are a perennial wild flower that has bright orange blooms all summer long and the bees loves them.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Bee balm aka monarda aka bergamot is a great plant, but perhaps not in your garden. They do bloom splendidly for a few weeks in June-July, and much loved by bees and hummers. However, they are prone to powdery mildew in our climate. I am not alone to just cut them back after blooming as they are just ate up with the mildew.

Bloom all summer? Annuals best best, such as zinnias. There are some salvias both perennial and annual that are good bloomers. Also add some Anise hyssop, a good bloomer, bees love it, and easy (perennial).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Bee balm has pretty red or pink flowers that hummingbirds like and it is good in herbal tea mixes:

but as noted they only bloom for a few weeks. My bee balm in Cincinnati always did get powdery mildew after awhile, maybe worse here.

Along with the ones Susan mentioned, coreopsis is another perennial that blooms over a long season and is very adaptable as to conditions.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”