rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oregano infused oil

So I harvested and dried my first batch of oregano for this year. But I still had a whole large spice jar full of 2015 oregano. I couldn't quite bear to just throw it out, so I just filled the jar up with salad oil, put the lid back on and put it in a windowsill. In a couple weeks, I will have oregano flavored oil!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I'm currently obsessed with tarragon vinegar! I just shove a bunch of fress tarragon into a quart Masson jar, and cover with champagne vinegar.

We've been making this Date Dijon dressing with it, and that tarragon vinegar makes it taste just like the high end honey mustard you get in restaurants. It is SO GOOD! (And it's vegan, and oil free!)

imafan26
Mod

People always ask me how to preserve herbs. I actually do know how to do it, but I always tell them that they can get recipes and instructions on the web or in books. But especially in Hawaii, why bother except for dill and bay leaves, most herbs are so much better fresh.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Dill doesn't grow in Hawaii?

IMO, dill is so much better fresh! In potato salad, egg salad, for okra pickles and cucumber pickles, and dressings! Yummy!

Allyn
Green Thumb

Eat more Italian!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I do, but when I have fresh oregano and other herbs, I use those and I had tons of dried last year... I think the oregano oil will be nice for those Italian recipes.

PinkPetalPolygon

Woohoo, something funny happened to me recently, I thought my tastebuds changed and that I didn't like vinegar or mustard any more? :D

Then I tried some nice mustard somewhere else
And realized I only had had cheap mustard and cheap vinegar for the last 3 years. :lol:

I used to have like 40 different kinds of mustard or/and vinegar when I was younger, and I thought because of the way I reacted to the $1 mustard & the $2 vinegar meant that I didn't like mustard or vinegar any more!? :lol:

Turns out I was just permanently spoiled. I bought some good $2 organic mustard,

I actually have been saving an empty dressing bottle to make my own dressing with. Thanks for reminding me with this post.

Question!:

Is it okay to put flowers into the oils/vinegars/mixes? Are they the same as leaves for those purposes?

Are you able to leave the stems in if you take them out/make sure you don't eat them? :D

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

If the herbs and flowers are edible, you absolutely can put them all in there!

I put the entire bunch of tarragon in with my vinegar!

With some herbs, the stem actually has more intense flavor! Like tarragon, cilantro, and basil!

applestar
Mod

Oregano oil is supposed to be good for your gums -- tastes good, too :()

I made some last year (actually an oil/tincture blend) and I like using it for mouthwash -- just a few drops in warm water, sometimes with seasalt if I feel like it.

PinkPetalPolygon

Herbal mouthwash, yesssss!

I recently switched from super budget floss to fancy floss with tea tree oil and I love it. Totally worth an extra $1.

Good mouthwash is expensive! I get really creeped out by the bright blue dye in the mouthwash my DH buys. It never occurred to me that I could have an herbal mouthwash regimen! :)

Now I am all excited going to look up other recipes, yay! I have like 4 different oreganos, and like 4 sweet marjoram plants among other stuff.

Most of my herb plants are less than two years old. I look forward to over-abundance. :mrgreen:

Fancy custom mouthwash sounds wonderful though, thanks for the idea!

I said it once & I'll say it a thousand times:

Herbs are my faaaaavorite!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I just happen to run across this recipe the other day.

Homemade Oregano Oil Recipe

Oregano leaves, chopped or crushed
Olive oil, almond oil or grape seed oil

Place oil & chopped oregano leaves in jar. Place jar in very hot water (boil the water & turn off the heat). Let the jar sit for 5-10 minutes. This helps the oregano release its natural oils. Remove the jar from the water & place beside a sunny window for 1-2 weeks. Shake the jar every few days. After the 2 weeks is up, strain the oil from the leaves & place into a sanitized jar. Store the oil in a dark, cool place. To preserve the oil, add a few drops of grapeseed oil.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”