imafan26
Mod

Re: Mexican Oregano

I had that one, I don't know, if I still do it is buried in the weeds. I have the cousin of it lippia micromera that has small white flowers that the bees love and and smaller leaves. It is also an oregano substitute.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have not been able to find Mexican Oregano at any of the local stores in TN. I am still looking for Mexican Oregano.

applestar
Mod

Cute flowers! No wonder hammers like them. I imagine it would have to be overwintered indoors here....

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I haven't tried Mexican oregano, but I loooooove Mexican Tarragon and it's a beautiful plant as well. It tastes veeeeeery much like tarragon, but it's just not as tender. I'll have to check my local seller. He always has a really huge selection of unusual and heirloom herbs. He does mail orders every Sunday. I will pm you his link if you'd like. I'd put it on here, but I'm not sure of the rules...

JohnGCS

Sadly I can't get Mexican Oregano seeds in UK, which is shame really because it does look really pretty.

applestar
Mod

Found this article. Quoted some excerpts:

Mexican Oregano—A Tasty Twist on an Age-Old Flavor - Brooklyn Botanic Garden
https://www.bbg.org/gardening/article/mexican_oregano

Mexican oregano couldn't be easier to cultivate. Full sun, heat, and fertile, well-drained soil are all the plant requires. Average moisture is just fine. Lippia graveolens is hardy in USDA Zones 10 and 11. Gardeners in Zone 9 might risk it outside all year, but heavy, cool, wet winter soils will be its demise.

Farther north, try Mexican oregano as a container specimen outdoors in warm weather and overwintered indoors in a greenhouse or south-facing windowsill. Indoors it will relish the same conditions as bay or rosemary—cool temperatures and fresh, circulating air. Watch for spider mites, whiteflies, and mealy bugs. Propagation is a breeze from ripe tip cuttings.
Mexican oregano has a sweetness and intensity that many gourmets prefer to the flavor of the true European or Mediterranean species.
In its native Mexico, the herb is sometimes called té de pais ("country tea"), because the dried leaves are brewed into an herbal tea. It is also employed in [salsas, pozole, adobos, and rajas.]
Now that I have an idea of basic care requirements, I'm having that urge to want to acquire it for my herb collection..... :> :()

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”