TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Re: Is something wrong with my basil?

Susan W wrote:I'd keep an eye on the basil. If the whole plant goes south on you, could be the dreaded downy mildew (specific to basil). Nothing you can do but pull out plants and trash baggie them. Some basils are coming in with it, and nothing you did wrong. You have plenty of time to get some starts from a different source, and plant elsewhere, and containers are fine for it.
I'll definitely keep an eye on the basil. Here's what the underside of one of the leaves that has the spots looks like. I think I got a pretty decent photo. Should I just go ahead and pull it?
Basil underside.jpg

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Just an update, no more leaves have been affected yet and the less severe of them aren't worsening or dying. If it rains I've been going out when it's clear and shaking the water off the leaves so they don't burn. I think that's helping. If all else fails, I did manage to succeed at starting some basil from seed when I started some a couple months ago. So I'll keep that in a pot just in case.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I really thinks it was just sunscald. I know a lot of people were having trouble with basil downy mildew around the forum, but I haven't been so unfortunate here.... Mine just REALLY don't like going in the main bed. Once they start their heartier, tougher leaves, I don't think you'll have any trouble. I wouldnt overreact and pull your plants unless you take a sample to your local extension office and get a more for sure answer.

I can tell you, I plant tender basil every single year, and it ALWAYS does this. I just use it as an excuse to make pesto! Yes!!!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:I really thinks it was just sunscald. I know a lot of people were having trouble with basil downy mildew around the forum, but I haven't been so unfortunate here.... Mine just REALLY don't like going in the main bed. Once they start their heartier, tougher leaves, I don't think you'll have any trouble. I wouldnt overreact and pull your plants unless you take a sample to your local extension office and get a more for sure answer.

I can tell you, I plant tender basil every single year, and it ALWAYS does this. I just use it as an excuse to make pesto! Yes!!!
I did end up pulling a few of the leaves and using them. I don't have any clue how to make pesto so I'll have to look that up. But new leaves are growing and the plant seems nice and happy now. And going and shaking the water off after a heavy rain seems to help too. We got a freak thunderstorm that blew in out of nowhere yesterday. But it did mean no watering so that was nice.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Just toss a few handfuls of basil into a food processor/blender with a handful of Parmesan, and a handful of walnuts, a couple cloves or garlic, pinch of salt and pepper, and a healthy glug of evoo. Mix it all up and stir it into cooked pasta!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Just toss a few handfuls of basil into a food processor/blender with a handful of Parmesan, and a handful of walnuts, a couple cloves or garlic, pinch of salt and pepper, and a healthy glug of evoo. Mix it all up and stir it into cooked pasta!
That sounds pretty tasty. I always liked pesto at restaurants. I'll have to get hold of walnuts!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You can use any nuts!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:You can use any nuts!
Then I'll have to experiment! Can't wait!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsay: Thanks to you, I didn't yank the basil and it seems the spots are fading now, not spreading! Now I'm wishing it had more leaves that I could harvest! Got to wait a little longer for that, though, it seems!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It will grow back SO QUICK!!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:It will grow back SO QUICK!!
It totally does! Holy cow, I didn't realize how fast it grew back! I'm super happy this basil is okay. I pruned it like, two days ago. It's already grown half of it back! Which is good because I really, really love basil and plan on drying some out to save.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I love it too! My favorite!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”