TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Is something wrong with my basil?

Okay, I swear I am having the absolute worst luck with my garden. First my tomato plants (which, it turns out is my own fault for being a dummy). Now, my basil. Sigh.... So, I went out yesterday to check to see if anything needed water and to make sure the spot I planted my green bean seeds last week was good and moist. I'm pretty sure something isn't right with the basil, I just don't know what.
basil 1.jpg
basil 2.jpg
Is this a fungus or mildew or something? Like something from the dirt splashing up onto the leaves from the rain we had for 2 days? I don't water overhead so that's the only thing I can think. I haven't had a chance to mulch yet. I know I need to get it done and I definitely will. I just have to wait til we get paid because I don't have anything I can use. Anyway, is this from the dirt and stuff splashing the leaves or is it something else? Do I need to pull the whole plant and not plant anything in the area? I'd hate for it to be some sort of disease that would affect something else if I put it in the bed! Like I said, I seem to be having the worst luck! Thanks so much for reading and helping, if you can.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I think they're just sunburned and having some transplant shock.

Those leaves prolly won't recover, but you can pick them and eat them like they are. Don't pick the smaller leaves. Let them branch out so the plant can recover. Basil DOES recover fairly quickly! That's good!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Yeah, I think they're just sunburned and having some transplant shock.

Those leaves prolly won't recover, but you can pick them and eat them like they are. Don't pick the smaller leaves. Let them branch out so the plant can recover. Basil DOES recover fairly quickly! That's good!
You don't think it's a fungus? Something that could spread to another plant that may be susceptible to similar ones? It has been transplanted for about 2 weeks now. It was doing well til I saw this over the weekend... do you think the cloudiness followed by lots of sun sunburnt it? I kinda thought that looked different. But hey, that's what these forums are great for, asking!

applestar
Mod

Look at the underside of the leaves. If there are grey fuzzies, then it could be basil downy mildew which is going around.

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

applestar wrote:Look at the underside of the leaves. If there are grey fuzzies, then it could be basil downy mildew which is going around.
Funny you say this, I immediately looked under the leaves for pests. I saw no pests and no grey fuzziness. I thought the leaves had mud on them from the rain at first.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I really think it's just sunscald.

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:I really think it's just sunscald.
Thank you. I just Googled "sun scaled basil" and the pictures of it pretty much look exactly like what mine look like. I was just kind of freaking out since it's in the bed where my tomatoes will be planted. So glad I found this forum! Everyone has answered my questions so kindly!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You're welcome! My leaves get a fair amount tougher once the heat kicks it here. It doesn't matter how well I harden off basil, the tender parts just get toasted when it goes to the big garden. I guess I could devise some way to screen it, but.....meh. I got enough to do! The tender leaves taste wimpy to me anyway!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:You're welcome! My leaves get a fair amount tougher once the heat kicks it here. It doesn't matter how well I harden off basil, the tender parts just get toasted when it goes to the big garden. I guess I could devise some way to screen it, but.....meh. I got enough to do! The tender leaves taste wimpy to me anyway!
Haha I guess basil just has to get tough and learn to handle the kick off of the heat and such. I never knew that. I can't wait to get to eat some spaghetti with all fresh herbs!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You can pick and use all that damaged part. It's unsightly, but not diseased! Make a small batch pesto. Handful of those leaves, a clove of garlic, a few walnut halves, some evoo and a dash of Parmesan cheese! Blend it all up and put it in some French bread! Nom! Or some pasta! Nom nom!!!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:You can pick and use all that damaged part. It's unsightly, but not diseased! Make a small batch pesto. Handful of those leaves, a clove of garlic, a few walnut halves, some evoo and a dash of Parmesan cheese! Blend it all up and put it in some French bread! Nom! Or some pasta! Nom nom!!!
Thank goodness! Soooo much of the plant had leaves like that I was so worried. Like most of the bottom part of the plant. But currently I'm enjoying going nom nom nom on some fried zucchini! Salt, pepper, flour, cook in shortening. God, my southern roots are showing but it tastes so heavenly!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl! You KNOW I grew up proper southn! You better get you some cornmeal in that mix!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl! You KNOW I grew up proper southn! You better get you some cornmeal in that mix!
Lol I don't eat mine fully battered. My grandma always just did flour. But I might try corn meal. I just don't have any. Do ya egg wash before cornmeal?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Nope, just get the cast iron hot, add crisco. Mix a little flour and a little cornmeal together. Salt my squash to get them weeping and then toss them with the cornmeal mix. Then fry. I wouldn't call them "breaded". But that the best way to eat squash IMO! I do okra the same way!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I'd keep an eye on the basil. If the whole plant goes south on you, could be the dreaded downy mildew (specific to basil). Nothing you can do but pull out plants and trash baggie them. Some basils are coming in with it, and nothing you did wrong. You have plenty of time to get some starts from a different source, and plant elsewhere, and containers are fine for it.

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Susan W wrote:I'd keep an eye on the basil. If the whole plant goes south on you, could be the dreaded downy mildew (specific to basil). Nothing you can do but pull out plants and trash baggie them. Some basils are coming in with it, and nothing you did wrong. You have plenty of time to get some starts from a different source, and plant elsewhere, and containers are fine for it.
I'll definitely keep an eye on the basil. Here's what the underside of one of the leaves that has the spots looks like. I think I got a pretty decent photo. Should I just go ahead and pull it?
Basil underside.jpg

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Just an update, no more leaves have been affected yet and the less severe of them aren't worsening or dying. If it rains I've been going out when it's clear and shaking the water off the leaves so they don't burn. I think that's helping. If all else fails, I did manage to succeed at starting some basil from seed when I started some a couple months ago. So I'll keep that in a pot just in case.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I really thinks it was just sunscald. I know a lot of people were having trouble with basil downy mildew around the forum, but I haven't been so unfortunate here.... Mine just REALLY don't like going in the main bed. Once they start their heartier, tougher leaves, I don't think you'll have any trouble. I wouldnt overreact and pull your plants unless you take a sample to your local extension office and get a more for sure answer.

I can tell you, I plant tender basil every single year, and it ALWAYS does this. I just use it as an excuse to make pesto! Yes!!!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:I really thinks it was just sunscald. I know a lot of people were having trouble with basil downy mildew around the forum, but I haven't been so unfortunate here.... Mine just REALLY don't like going in the main bed. Once they start their heartier, tougher leaves, I don't think you'll have any trouble. I wouldnt overreact and pull your plants unless you take a sample to your local extension office and get a more for sure answer.

I can tell you, I plant tender basil every single year, and it ALWAYS does this. I just use it as an excuse to make pesto! Yes!!!
I did end up pulling a few of the leaves and using them. I don't have any clue how to make pesto so I'll have to look that up. But new leaves are growing and the plant seems nice and happy now. And going and shaking the water off after a heavy rain seems to help too. We got a freak thunderstorm that blew in out of nowhere yesterday. But it did mean no watering so that was nice.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Just toss a few handfuls of basil into a food processor/blender with a handful of Parmesan, and a handful of walnuts, a couple cloves or garlic, pinch of salt and pepper, and a healthy glug of evoo. Mix it all up and stir it into cooked pasta!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Just toss a few handfuls of basil into a food processor/blender with a handful of Parmesan, and a handful of walnuts, a couple cloves or garlic, pinch of salt and pepper, and a healthy glug of evoo. Mix it all up and stir it into cooked pasta!
That sounds pretty tasty. I always liked pesto at restaurants. I'll have to get hold of walnuts!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You can use any nuts!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:You can use any nuts!
Then I'll have to experiment! Can't wait!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsay: Thanks to you, I didn't yank the basil and it seems the spots are fading now, not spreading! Now I'm wishing it had more leaves that I could harvest! Got to wait a little longer for that, though, it seems!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It will grow back SO QUICK!!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:It will grow back SO QUICK!!
It totally does! Holy cow, I didn't realize how fast it grew back! I'm super happy this basil is okay. I pruned it like, two days ago. It's already grown half of it back! Which is good because I really, really love basil and plan on drying some out to save.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I love it too! My favorite!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”