PinkPetalPolygon

Jasmine for tea?

Are all/most jasmine flowers edible?

Which are the best types of jasmine for using as tea?

Is "night blooming Jasmine" edible and/or able to be used for tea?

Thanks for your input!

imafan26
Mod

Jasmine flowers are used to scent the tea but they are not actually left in the tea. The camelia sinensis leaf tips are picked and processed, then they are sealed in a warehouse covered with tens of thousands of fresh jasmine buds. The next day the flowers have to be laborously removed, the tea dried and infused with the flower's fragrance again. The flowers are not left in the tea.

Jasmine sambac is supposedly edible, but I have not tried it. Some plants are called jasmine but are not true jasmine and they are not edible.

Night blooming jasmine is not a true jasmine and in the nightshade family, so I wouldn't eat it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMIH8e4nu-A

applestar
Mod

I have this kind: Subject: Anyone have Arabian jasmine?

I float fresh blossoms in tea, which gives me the best POW of fragrance as I drink. So far, drying the blossoms seems to reduce fragrance, though I put them in my herbal tea blends. This year, I'm tossing the fresh blossoms in my small canister of best loose leaf green tea in the freezer (Which may not work to impart the fragrance due to the freezing temperature, but we'll see)

PinkPetalPolygon

imafan26 wrote:Night blooming jasmine is not a true jasmine and in the nightshade family, so I wouldn't eat it.
:lol: this is great to know!
applestar wrote:I have this kind: Subject: Anyone have Arabian jasmine?
Hey, what do you know! I researched "Jasminum sambac" / arabian Jasmine to learn "The flowers open at night (usually around 6 to 8 in the evening), and close in the morning, a span of 12 to 20 hours"

Which in effect makes Arabian jasmine essentially obviously a jasmine that blooms at night, eh eh? :-()

Sounds like a winner as a Mother's day gift for a mother who likes tea and wanted a night blooming jasmine! ;)

PinkPetalPolygon

Oooh obviously/my apologies, I am misusing the term "tea"

I am sort of funny in the regard I think of... any flavored by plants water = tea. :lol:

I think I meant "herbal tea" ;)

imafan26
Mod

I never knew Arabian Jasmine = Jasmine sambac. Here we call it Pikake and in the P.I. it is called sampagita. Pikake was named after a Hawaiian princess, Princess Kaiulani for her love of the flower and peacocks.

I did not know the flowers opened at night either. It is open during the day for me. I have a rose pikake in my yard. The single pikake is used to make leis and I once had a double pikake. It is more fragrant in the early morning. I don't go out much after dark and where the plant is, I'd trip over it at night.

PinkPetalPolygon

:-()

I got the Arabian Jasmine!

(Feel free to tell me what any of your other favorites for making Jasmine herbal tea though, I'm still more than curious.)

I got it as a Mother's day present for my MIL, but as we were bringing it home in the car I kept looking on it fondly and thinking/saying, "I love my new Jasmine!" :lol:

(We totally share herbs and cuttings and gardens and seeds and plants (while attempting not to cross-contaminate :lol: ) so it actually feels like I got a present too.

I totally did, I look forward to us having a lovely Jasmine tea party. I'll post an update with a picture of it when it's planted. I am not sure if she wants it in a pot or the ground.

Heheh! I 100% intended on putting it in a large pot (the tag says this plant will grow 3-6 feet tall)

But I was all thinking about it... and I got filled with this odd sensation I really wanted to put it in the ground.

"Hey I got you this and I wanna force you to put it here!" :lol:

Oooh, well, I guess a girls been forced into worse stuff than being given giant beautiful smelly flowery plants she said she wanted in a predetermined good spot, huh! :P

applestar
Mod

It's easy to propagate from cuttings. I would definitely take 3 or 4 cuttings to grow for yourself. :wink:

1:1 potting mix and sand with a vented humidity dome (I use top half of soda/water bottle no cap) works better than water.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”