cass2828

Herb sowing...

Hi, I am planning to sow some herbs... I have rosemary, dill, chives... When to sow these and what size of container would each of them need... do these plants attract beneficial insects?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Cass were these going live life long in field, or pots?

I am also wondering if they might not need some shade on your home-range.

imafan26
Mod

Dill and chives can be grown from seed, but rosemary is very hard from seed. Usually you only need one rosemary plant so just get a starter plant. You can take cuttings from rosemary and root them Jan-March. If you try to root them at the wrong time of year, you will have a high rate of failure. You need to take rosemary cuting when the stems are actively growing.

Other herbs to grow from seed would be green onions, chives, fennel, curry tree (from seeds or cuttings), basil, fenugreek, chervil, and sage.

Herbs like mint, oregano, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, and lavender are easier from cuttings than from seed. Lemon grass from divisions.

I usually get starts of lemon grass, rosemary and mint. After that I take cuttings or divisions from them. I have grown marjoram from seeds but they are faster from cuttings. I also buy starts of thyme, oregano, and papalo. I only need one since I can make more from cuttings and divisions. I can grow parsley from seeds but they are not easy to grow from seeds if you don't know how to plant them and most people only need one or two plants so they buy the starts. Cilantro does not grow very well in very hot weather and can only be grown in the cooler months of the year.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”