Amandrawr
Newly Registered

Tiny bugs on basil

I have a question for all of you! I have an indoor basil plant in a sunny window that I've had for about a month. I noticed a few weeks ago super tiny bugs on top of the leaves, mostly the new delicious leaves. Also noticing small bumps on the leaves as well, I don't know if those are normal or not.

I've tried just rinsing the bugs off daily with water, spraying with soapy water, and spraying with soapy water and oil. No matter what, the bugs are back the very next day.

What are these guys, and how can I make them go away?
Attachments
2016-03-23 18.56.45.jpg

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, I think that they are aphids. Those are common pests for basil. I dread seeing them show up in the greenhouse among the basil starts. Some years, they do. I take the plants outdoors on the nicest of days, set them in the shade and spray them with insecticidal soap.

I'm not very convinced about dish washing soap but have used it, especially on sunflower plants in the vegetable gardens. It seems to work fairly well against aphids and spider mites, common on sunflowers. Those are big plants and insecticidal soap is somewhat expensive but I think the dish washing soap, at even a lower recommended dilution, is a little hard on the plants.

Some people take potted plants and immerse them in the soap diluted at the rate recommended (I have used the Colorado State University's website information). After several minutes, the plants are taken out and allowed to dry. I think it must be best to water the plants before doing this.

Aphids are sometimes a little difficult to kill. Probably the surest way is to rub the leaves carefully with fingers and thumb. One reason I am taking plants out of the greenhouse to spray them is because this is a fairly arid climate. The greenhouse is humid. Soap solution drying on the aphids seems to do a much better job, outdoors. I am careful not to allow sunlight to hit the plants, however.

I see other plants in your photograph. Aphids can live on most everything green. It would be important to treat all house plants at the same time.

Rinsing the plants with clean water after 12 hours is a good idea. I hope you get the bugs under control soon and can get back to enjoying your house plants.

Steve

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Is the weather warm enough to set the plant outside in the shade for a couple hours? If so, look for some ladybugs and gently move them to your plant.

Or, I have read you can wash the aphids off with a strong (but not destructive strong) spray of water. I personally prefer a little soapy water. You'll have to treat any and all plants that are close to the basil. Wipe down the window area and the outside of the pots too. Aphids aren't always on the plants.

Your aphids look like newly hatched babies. So there is a mama aphid or several mama aphids hiding somewhere. You have to get rid of the adults too.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”