PinkPetalPolygon

What kinds of basil do you like? Any cold hardy?

What's your favorite kind of basil? / What kinds of basil will you grow this year? :)

If you'd like to just answer the question without hearing me ramble you can do so now ^__^

Basil is one of my favorite things that only summer/warm weather can have!

(Here is my story about planting stuff too early thinking I could will plants to live even if it was 20 degrees too cold ^_^ aww, youth <3)

I "jumped the gun" on purpose this season and planted a bunch of stuff ultra early indoors in case something crazy happened and there was no Spring/end of winter - on the off chance it would go straight to summer? :D

It wasn't as traumatic as it could have been because I knew I was literally "starting too early" - but...

I watched a lot of hot weather stuff sprout then fizzle, asking/crying "hey where's the 80 degree weather I require to live!!?? 50 degree nights please!" when I was offering them 65 high / 40 low temperatures with iffy lighting >_>

a handful of tomatoes seedlings made it through pretty well though! so all is well and I learned SO much the experience was great/worth it/necessary for my development.

(I actually found a "wild tomato" in my yard AKA a fruit fell from one of my tomato plants last year and it germinated itself!! when I found it, I put it in a pot and I am glad I did because the cold the following weeks would have killed it outside: that tomato baby is totally my favorite & it validated my sense it was okay to try to begin growing tomatoes - a tomato seed lying in my garden agreed & now we are best friends in our quest for fruit!)

In any event, I vividly learned, not to even bother THINKING about owning living basil unless it is a cold hardy kind explicitly (hah) -

even if I can squeak out a few happy tomato seedlings in feb/march

I can't even think about owning a basil plant!

until it is actually hot outside.

I went to 3 or 4 different places that sell live plants and all the basils at the stores were RAGGED & yellowing if not straight up dead and it put me at absolute ease about my baby basil seedlings dying - plant stores couldn't keep basil alive either!!! ^_^

all that being said!

I do own one basil plant! (heheh!)

I could not pass it up at the store, it is green leaves with a totally PURPLE bottom and it is called "Magic Moutain" :)

the tag on it said it was more cold resistant than other purple basils. I can tell that is true even though I've only had it 5 days. It looks happy and it has been a tad on the cooler side, though the next 10 day forecast looks like cozy sailing :D low 70's

And let me tell you, when the clouds leave... 70 degrees in that California Sun is BRIGHT.

I'm still not going to think about more basil until it hits 85 a few times! (well, I can buy it clipped fresh from the store) ;)

Do you know of any particularly cold hardy kinds of basil? Thanks!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

No, I do not know of a cold-hardy basil. It is probably the most cold-sensitive plant I grow and I grow quite a few varieties.

I guess I have a favorite for each of several uses. Siam Queen is needed for Pho. Noodles and pasta generally are staples in this house. Broth is made frequently. I haven't grown any bean sprouts lately but will buy them and, not caring much for pate, broth, sprouts, basil, and noodles - pho.

Then there is the need for basil in Italian dishes. I don't find much different between the sweet basils but, since some are so susceptible to fusarium wilt, I like Nufar Large-leaf. It makes good pesto and several sprigs in a tomato sauce is great and a better choice than oregano, to me.

Lemon basil is awfully good on baked salmon but so is rosemary, dill, or sliced lemons ...

I also like Dark Opal basil in the flower beds. I knew one person who considered Dark Opal as the best choice for dry basil and winter use.

I still haven't dried basil. I understand that using a fan is really helpful. Otherwise, it's gonna look like your basil did when it decided the weather was just too cold, black and dead. The plants don't have to freeze. They are tender things.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I agree - basil is simply not cold hardy, and it is the first thing to die in my garden from cold (not even frost) every fall. I start my basil indoors about the time I put my tomatoes in the ground. But then, I ALWAYS have fresh basil - serrata (a short, bushy, super fragrant variety, good for hydro or pot growing) and Thai basil I grow hydroponically starting before it dies in the fall until I have it growing well outside in the spring.

PinkPetalPolygon

Thanks for all the input! :)

I have to agree with the conclusion that basil is not a cool weather crop.

That being said, I have to hand it to my "Red Rubin" basil seedling -

It was much smaller than the other green basil seedling (Genovese?) When I put them both in next to eachother in the same light. The green basil is languishing and the red basil is still there ^_^ - I have to say that the red rubin is cold hardier! (Obviously, hah)

I am not sure it'll make it, but it is only getting warmer. We'll see!

PinkPetalPolygon

I have bad news! All my basil seedlings passed away.

The magic mountain basil plant I purchased is alive and well though! I have a picture of its leaves for you to see how awesome it is! :D

It is green on top and purple on the bottom!

It actually tastes better than it looks!!! Truly special delicious.VERY MUCH different from any other basil I've tasted.

(Here I am being biased yet again cuz I LOVE basil, never met a fresh basil I didn't like! This one still surprised me.)
Attachments
IMG_20160329_124226.jpg
IMG_20160329_124155.jpg

nltaff

I love basil as well. My favorite saying is: Basil's not an herb, it's a crop! Basil, for me, is the essence of summer. In winter, when the grocery store sells little pots of it in produce, I sniff and declare-"smells like summer!" My go-to basil crop is the Genovese for those huge leaves. I grow it in pots all over the south-facing deck, and usually get bigger leaves by giving it some shade. Purple or purple ruffles basil is great for making a pink, infused vinegar. I'll have to look for that Magic Mountain variety, as it looks really yummy. I've dried basil and made vinegars with it, but by far, the best way I've found to preserve that little joy of summer for winter use is to freeze it. This is how I do that: First, snip off the tops of your plants when they look like they are close to developing flower buds. I usually cut the stem down to the lowest or next to lowest big opposite leaves. I use a huge stainless steel bowl, wash the stems with leaves on, shake dry, then pick all leaves off into the huge bowl. I wash the leaves, in the bowl and pour into a big salad spinner. I usually wash them one more time and spin vigorously to dry completely. I know this sounds obsessive, but earwigs seem to like my basil, and earwigs really wig me out (pun intended)! Next, break out the food processor and olive oil. Stuff those leaves in, alternately chopping and adding more leaves. When the processor bowl is about 3/4 full, drizzle in olive oil (I like to use a good quality one) until the mixture is the consistency of loose (not runny) oatmeal. Now you can place this product in really small (2-3oz) containers. Leave 1/2 inch space at top, tap on counter to level, and pour a 1/8-1/4" layer of olive oil on top to preserve the color. Put the lid on and freeze. Alternatively, I spoon my mix into ice cube trays, tap to level and place in freezer overnight (no added olive oil needed on top). Next day, pop out your cubes and store in zip-locks. You now have a basil base preserved to make pesto, use in recipes, etc. These keep for a very long time and are far better and fresher than the dried, jarred stuff.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I love that purple basil infused vinegar! Comes out such a beautiful color.

I also make green basil jelly and purple basil jelly. Also use basil in ice cream flavors like strawberry-basil ice cream, peach basil ice-cream. One of these years I will be able to make peach basil ice cream with my own homegrown peaches! :)

I don't freeze basil directly, but I do make lots of pesto and freeze dinner size quantities of that in zip locks. We love homemade pesto in the winter, tastes like summer preserved!

imafan26
Mod

Basil can be grown indoors in colder climates, but no it doesn't even like the rainy season much here. It gets fungal diseases too.

I grow African basil at the herb garden It is big and ornamental, too much camphor to taste good but the bees love it and it is very long lived. The only other one that does not get downy mildew is Ajaka and the green and the purple holy basil.

For eating, the most versatile is Genovese, but opal basil has the most vitamins. Thai basil for thai curries and stir fries of course. I grow cinnamon and lemon basil because I can. I had to pull all of the lemon basil out because now they are severely infected with downy mildew. They had enough resistance to survive but the seeds are all contaminated now so I need to just get rid of the source. The cinnamon basil I sometimes sub for the Thai basil. Lemon basil can be made into lemon basil lemonade or Lemon basil chicken.

I just ordered some Eleonora basil that is supposed to have moderate resistance to downy mildew. It is the only sweet basil that has any resistance. I tried to get seed last year but Johhny's was sold out and later there was a crop failure. I finally found some seeds this year. I know the flavor will change from genovese, but I really miss thai curry and chicken with basil. I used to be able to do it any time I wanted to before since I grow the ginger, chili peppers, kaffir lime leaves and lemon grass in my yard and all of these things are basic to Thai cooking. The community pots have sprouted and I should be able to transplant soon. Hopefully, they will survive in my yard.

nltaff

Just managed to throw my basil seeds down this weekend. Planted Dark Opal for that pink vinegar (and colorful leaves in salads) and my fave, Genovese. Monday morning, they are sprouted and happy. I do believe that I may have pushed it a bit, starting them so early here in Zone 5. I'm just really anxious to get started, and the weather seems to be stalling! My experience has been: wait til the end of May, throw down a fistful of seed, separate the seedlings into 3-4" pots until the end of June and then put them in containers (3-4 per 12-14" pots on the south facing deck). The plants seem to stay healthier and produce bigger leaves if I use my other plants to shade them.

PinkPetalPolygon

I ended up buying my basil plants this year. In addition to the magic mountain basil I have at home, I installed some kinds of basil but didn't pay attention exactly to which kinds the "normal" green basil was or quite what kind of purple basil I chose. But I got one of each. And a cimmamon basil that my MIL picked out. :mrgreen:

But I must say.. My red Rubin basil seeds ARE calling my name!

(I tried to grow basil for the first time this year from seed but...
I started 60-90 days early without grow lights :lol: !!! Not happening! )

I have been meaning to take a trip to see my dad since February and have been putting off planting seeds, and now I feel silly having squandered so much time procrastinating !!!

I'll never do that again!!!! All travel plans = completed, executed, and put away by January as a rule!!!

PinkSunset
Newly Registered

Don't you like it when you answer your own questions?

I am PinkPetalPolygon (the original poster) & I am here to report the claim that "Magic Mountain" basil is cold hardy (like it said on its tag) is ABSOLUTELY TRUE

I overwintered my 2017 "Magic Mountain" Basil into 2018 in Zone 9b! ^__^ ❤

The last freezing storms in February DID almost kill it, but I am almost certain it will make it to the summer now !!

It had a few flowers, but I ate them (lol!)

When it buds, I will take a picture. (Then prompty eat them/it, hehe! Yay!)

P.S. Pardon the clutter :D
Attachments
Magic Mountain Basil that Survived the Winter
Magic Mountain Basil that Survived the Winter

applestar
Mod

Thanks for the follow-up and update :D

...so... do you have a good way to describe the flavor of Magic Mountian basil? 8)

MaLiorzh

Not really a true basil but Clinopodium vulgare (wild basil) is certainly very hardy. The taste isn't that strong though. A few generations of selective breeding needed I think.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”