LayneTheDragon
Newly Registered

Help With My Cilantro?

Earlier, I was at the store, and decided to buy my first cilantro plant, my first herb actually, I mostly grow succulents, and I went home, took off the plastic wrap like the directions said and...The cilantro is completely limp. It's been overwatered, like it's sopping wet. Is there any way to save it or should I give up and sow my own? Image

Asica

For me when they are this size, I just cut them start cooking with them. Otherwise, they turn into flowers. I never have any luck with cilantro, it likes to bloom for me.

Greywolf

Cilantro is a plant that you can grow to full height for the seeds, or you can grow it in rows just to harvest the fresh and still soft bunches of extremely savory leaves. My advice is to grow at least one and let it completely run away so that you have a steady supply of seeds, but for the kitchen you want to use a stick to drag a shallow row to plant it in, and put the seeds about three to six inches apart.

When Cilantro grows tall, the stems are very woody, and cannot be used in cooking. You can still strip young stems and leaves from the plants, but it is best to grow bunches of it and take them up when they are young.
* Last year I made a "CILANTRO TEA" concentrate that I kept in the fridge using bulk stems and leaves, it had the flavor and I strained it so that there was no wood fiber. It made a lot of 'Pico De Gaio' that amazed my neighbors

Cilantro seeds are easy to find, even American Seed Company which sells their product to Dollar Stores is a good supplier.

Start a row, and add to it a dozen or so seeds at a time throughout the year, beginning again at the start of the row as you use the bunches that sprout up and grow

You can never have too much Cilantro!

LayneTheDragon
Newly Registered

Thanks to everyone who replied, I will use your guys' tips and plant my own cilantro here soon! :3

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”