Wrg
Newly Registered

Sick Peppermint

My peppermint is sick.. Please help me, I don't want him to die..
I am really new to gardening, I read it could be rust.
Any idea? Advice or solution?
Attachments
IMG_20160217_005837.jpg

plantwizard
Newly Registered

What kind of soil do you have it in? How much light is is getting? Do you fertilize it?

applestar
Mod

When was it potted up? It doesn't look too bad right now. Maybe looks a bit dried out?
Does it get a lot of light during the day? It doesn't appear to be stretched out or in lack of light.

I'm not too worried about the dried up leaves near the bottom -- I would just crumble those off.

I think it needs a good drink of water -- I would water thoroughly from the top until water comes out from the bottom drainage hole and let it sit in that water (about 1/2") for about 20-30 minute, then drain. Then don't water again until the top of the soil feels dry. Heft the pot after the thorough watering and remember the weight of it as baseline. It should feel lighter when it needs to be watered again.

You can pinch or cut off the tips of those stems (with top tiny leaves up to one pair full sized leaves) to encourage side shoots to grow. Toss them into your glass of water or tea for a little peppermint fragrance. :wink:

Wrg
Newly Registered

Hi!

Thank you so much for your answers!

I brought it in my place this Sunday evening, after a long 1 hour of bus ride. It used to share a pot with more peppermint (as on picture). Which is also not looking completely healthy. It has like white dots on some leaves.
It was moved in another pot on Sunday night.

I actually don't know exactly what kind of soil it is, it might be a mix. I only filled the pot with this soil and a bit of compost, no fertilizer. I will investigate on the soil!

I need to double check exposure, it is placed facing north west. But I live in a tropical weather (Singapore).

I will follow your advice and hope it gets better!
Attachments
IMG_20160215_102442.jpg

applestar
Mod

Ah! The white dots in this new photo looks like sign of sucking insects, usually found on the underside of the leaves.

You may need a magnifying glass, or take well focused very close photo with your camera/photo, then upload to a computer and see if you can spot them (this is my method of choice, actually).

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”