brittany715519
Newly Registered

Good Light for a Simple Herb Setup?

Hi everyone! I am trying to get started on one of my goals, which is to grow my own herbs so I can quit overpaying at the grocery store for less-than-fresh, packaged "fresh" herbs! I am thinking about constructing some sort of little light box for my herbs (which right now is my new basil plant).

I want to make my own version of this: https://www.orchidlight.com/c402.html and want to figure out what kind of light I can mount in the top.

I found a tutorial online that suggest using this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Slim-Line ... /202024436

I was just wondering if anyone has any feedback on this, or can tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree by looking at this light fixture. I don't want something massive - probably no more than like 18" or so, but even that is stretching it. I just want to grow 3 or 4 different herbs, nothing crazy. Not looking to start my own indoor greenhouse or anything.

If anyone has any suggestions for something that would be a better product to use, I appreciate the suggestion! I apologize, I'm really new to this and am getting overwhelmed by some of the really in-depth guides I've found online regarding the light types, options, etc. Just looking for something simple and pretty affordable! Thanks!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

To start plants (herbs) a lighted shelf could work. Spring will come and a patio, porch or garden bed will come. Any herb will do better here (SE-OH Z 6-A) from May till October out in real sun with real humidity.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You don't need fancy grow lights, but you would do better with a shop light fixture with two fluorescent tubes. One tube is a skinny little strip of light.

You do want it hung on chains so that it can be raised as the plants grow, because it needs to be just a few inches above them.

If you want to build the box for looks and you have the woodworking skills to do it, great. But you don't need it. As tom noted just a shelf with the lights over is fine. Or a light stand:

You can buy these fancy light carts for $100's, but you can make your own with any shelving and shop lights.

If you have a section of kitchen counter you can spare, with cabinets above it, just hang a shop light from the kitchen cabinets.

For just a couple plants, you can do some version of this:

again it doesn't have to be a fancy plant light with it's own shelf. Those plants could just as easily be sitting on the end table under them.

just ideas!! But you are right to be thinking about light. People often try to grow herbs on windowsills. If you have just the right south facing window, it is possible, but you will be way more successful, giving them a dedicated light.

Welcome to the Forum!

applestar
Mod

Because fluorescent light tubes are brightest in the middle and less bright on the ends, the 12" tube slimline you linked to I think is too short. You will also need to remove the plastic diffuser cover. At least go with an 18" tube fixture, but 24" is more standard. And 48" even more so. The longer bulbs cost less per inch and you may end up paying as much or even more for a short bulb as you would for a longer bulb and fixture.

If you have under cabinet space, simplest thing would be to mount a light fixture under a cabinet. And keep your herbs on the kitchen counter.

You could also scavenge for used T-8 aquarium lights (free cyclle/craigslist/flea market) since hobbyists are upgrading to the newer LED's and T-5's. You might even find more stylish kitchen under cabinet lights. I have a couple of white 36" under cabinet fixtures to fit a 36" long shelving unit, and I buy the replacement bulbs at the pet shop (sold for saltwater coral systems).

For one pot, 10" chicken brooder lamp/aluminum reflector utility lamp fitted with 6500K daylight CFL will work too. I have a few of those to supplement SE window light. Not the prettiest things, -- they are utilitarian and effective.

brittany715519
Newly Registered

Wow, thanks so much everyone! I really, really appreciate all the input! Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This is great to grow a few basic herbs to help dress up your meals. My suggestion....K-I-S-S Keep-it-simple.........
Some of your basic herbs can be grown as 'window sill herbs'. Just a pot on kitchen windowsill, perhaps some extra light, and voila!

A bit more info is needed for your situation. Where are you? If a cold area, need to keep plants away from window by a few inches. None like drafts. Do you have good windows (E or S my preference) Can you put the herb pots out for the warm season (for us in mid-south is April to October). They are happier and do much better outside.

brittany715519
Newly Registered

Susan W wrote: A bit more info is needed for your situation. Where are you? If a cold area, need to keep plants away from window by a few inches. None like drafts. Do you have good windows (E or S my preference) Can you put the herb pots out for the warm season (for us in mid-south is April to October). They are happier and do much better outside.
Well, I'm actually in Florida LOL. Jacksonville to be exact, so very far north, practically Georgia. But I live in an apartment on the 2nd floor with the only exterior light coming from our lanai door. And then in the bedroom we have one window. I wish I could have a kitchen window!

I have several plants out on our lanai already, but I feel like the herbs might be a little more sensitive to the colder overnights we've been having. We're in a pretty crappy front right now where we've had a lot more cloudy days than usual and the temps overnight are dropping into the 40s or high 30s. I would expect that colder overnights will be more and more common as we move through January into February, so I'm trying to plan ahead. :)

Oh PS, the lanai faces Southeast. It gets way better light overall than our bedroom window, due to the angle.

imafan26
Mod

When it warms up the herbs should do better outside, just make sure it gets good air circulation.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I am thinking, suggesting, your herb garden will take some trial and error. Not knowing what a lanai is, looked it up. Looks like a perfect place for your plants!

Most herbs do best in part sun, especially as you could get a heavy dose of full hot, even in winter. Also, most of your common ones do fine down to 30 -35. (especially in your protected space). This includes oregano, thyme, chives, parsley, mint, marjoram, rosemary, bay. Basil the most sensitive, and at 45 is uncomfortable.

Herb starts may be hard to find now, but will show up in your garden centers by March or so. Now, you can stop by our farmers market Saturday as I should have some oregano, parsley and chives potted up as windowsill herbs, and the bay tree-lets!

If you catch the fever, before you know, your lanai will be a green paradise!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”