TareqPhoto

My cilantro plant so far

Hi again,

So I am happy that the seeds of cilantro or coriander grew fine and it is my first grown plants from seeds, but I really don't know if there is something wrong with the plants, I thought it should grow much higher and the flower shuoldn't appear so early, and from an arabic forum someone stated that if the flowers came out so soon it means there is something wrong with growing.

Photos from 2 pots same size and soil but I really don't know what type of soil or the components of it because I didn't buy those pots with the soil, I found them available in my house when I moved so I used them directly.
Attachments
_DSC0041.jpg
_DSC0042.jpg
_DSC0038.jpg
_DSC0040.jpg

imafan26
Mod

The pot and the soil look o.k. What kind of fertilizer did you use? Cilantro will bolt in the heat so they are best grown in the shadiest, coolest spot you have. It is best not to have the pots on a tile or cement surface since they will reflect the heat and warm the pots even more. Cut off premature flower spikes as soon as they appear and pick the cilantro leaves often to keep them producing green. Also use a nitrogen fertilizer.

TareqPhoto

imafan26 wrote:The pot and the soil look o.k. What kind of fertilizer did you use? Cilantro will bolt in the heat so they are best grown in the shadiest, coolest spot you have. It is best not to have the pots on a tile or cement surface since they will reflect the heat and warm the pots even more. Cut off premature flower spikes as soon as they appear and pick the cilantro leaves often to keep them producing green. Also use a nitrogen fertilizer.
I don't know what kind of fertilizer it has before, but I added the one I bought that of the sewage treated one.
You are right, I thought cilantro needs some sun or direct sun, so I did put it in a place where it can get the sun in the early morning but then at noon/afternoon it is in shade a bit, but maybe I should keep it away from the sun completely as you recommend, so I will move it to its original place which is a stand with holders for pots, then I can place it in the shade so it won't touch tiles or cement or ceramic and it will be away from heat a bit.

I was happy that I saw flowers, but then I understand that I won't have longer plant with more leaves, so I will follow your advice by cutting of the flower and the leaves once I moved it into shades.

Thanks!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”