MsGardenNoob
Newly Registered

Indoor Herbs - Silvery-ness on leaves, Thrips?

Hi all, I am new to the forum, and gardening, I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

I recently brought my potted herbs indoors, about 3 weeks ago. I live in BC where it's nice and sunny. I've been suspicious if my herbs have thrips or not, so I purchased some yellow sticky traps.

Mainly my peppermint, spicy globe basil, parsley, and a few other herbs have been showing small resinous black speckles. They have also shown signs of silvery-ness on their foilage. The parsley I found 2 tiny light colored things, and I poked it with scissors and it moves... so I cut it off and threw it out. On my rosemary, some of the leaves have a faint yellow bubbly looking spots. Some forums said that it's from a chlorophyll eating pest, but the garden store lady said that they may just be mature leaves?

Wondering how long it will be until I know if there are thrips or not in/on my herbs. How long should I keep these yellow sticky traps in there? ahh I'm so new I haven't a clue what I'm doing lol....
However, I hope that I can find out soon because I'm becoming paranoid to eat and use my herbs... I don't want any bugs or eggs kinda thing...
If they are thrips, is it worth it to keep all my herbs and treat them vigorously, or should I start all over next season?

Anyways, thank you all for any feedback! - I had NO idea gardening was this difficult... :shock:

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”