applestar
Mod

Dream Kitchen Herb Garden

Have you seen the new IKEA commercial? I love the kitchen herb garden in the first part :-()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh amazing!! I want it! :)

imafan26
Mod

It is probably too good to be true.

applestar
Mod

Haha, I KNOW! I keep thinking of problems with that arrangement/scheme and thinking up ways to get around it.

Biggest issue would be light -- I think that the group to the right is clustered around a skylight, but even then.... I imagine practically the entire ceiling would have to be light fixtures or light diffusing/reflecting/channeling kind of drop panels with HO light fixtures above it -- very high ceiling needed.

Watering is another -- either each hanging planter on pull-down/up pully or -- even better -- each plant on drip emitters with thin tubing cleverly hidden and snaked along the hanging chains.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In the meantime, IKEA or somebody took down the video. :?

applestar
Mod

Oh! Well, good thing I took a screenshot then :wink:
image.jpg

Allyn
Green Thumb

Oh I'm so glad you took a screenshot. Very interesting arrangement. I agree that light would have to be addressed. I can imagine some hidden light strips on ceiling. Watering wouldn't have to be a problem. I've seen watering hooks -- like thin shepherds' hooks with a hose attached -- that you hook up to the faucet so you can reach up and water high-hanging plants.

applestar
Mod

From The Last Witch Hunter -- the witch Miranda's indoor vertical herb garden wall/room divider. I see familiar hanging bottle garden concept. (Looks like the design in which bottles are directly connected.) Painting the bottom half white is a nice unifying effect -- are they painted on the INSIDE? The incandescent lights are actually impractical but something similar could be done with daylight cfl bulbs....

She had Mushrooms growing on the workbench in sawdust substrate blocks :D

Allyn
Green Thumb

That is really cool. I am not familiar with this bottle-wall concept. I can't tell in the picture, it looks like the bottle are whole. How are the plants planted?

applestar
Mod

Usually there is a hole or two cut out in the side of the bottle. Sometimes entire bottle is filled with growing medium and planted from the side. (These look only half filled, some small plants growing inside.) Irrigation consists of watering the top (not planted watering) bottle which percolates down the tower to a catchment (whole bottle at bottom) -- sometimes automated with more elaborate circulating system with a large reservoir and some kind of pumping mechanism to lift the water back up to the top.

Allyn
Green Thumb

I really like this. My husband is going to be annoyed with you. He doesn't know it yet, but he will.

applestar
Mod

al3tte

These are gorgeous!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

There are a lot of Herbs in those photos. I can only grow 4 of the herbs that I like to cook with all the others have to come from the store. It is nice to grow other herbs for looks and to make the house smell nice.

There use to be a Lady in town that run a Herb Shop at her house, I use to love to go there it smelled so wonderful. She had so many herbs on her front porch and living room I could never count them all. Seemed like there was always about a 1/2 dozen customers there buying herbs, I did not mind to wait my turn even it it took 30 minutes it gave me more time to hang out and smell the wonderful fragrance.

When I lived in Arizona herbs were so easy to grow in the yard and garden most are desert plants and do very well in pots. I had a 4 ft diameter Thyme plant north side of house in the front yard, if you do Google Maps search for, 12345 W Sheridan St, Avondale AZ........Road View you can still see it, it looks like a large bush. Click + 4 times to zoom in you can see 2 bushes at the front window, thyme on on the left.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar
Mod

Yep that’s the one! Internet is so convenient. :wink:

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I saw the Ikea ad and even considered posting on this blog, before someone else did. But I changed my mind because it looks staged and unreal. It does look really cool but I think that it would take alot of work to keep it looking that good. So it really does seem like a "Dream Garden" to me.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”