imafan26
Mod

starting herbs from cuttings

Someone gave me some thai basil cuttings. Usually, I grow basil from seed and not from cuttings. Should I water root them first and then plant them or just cut them again and root them in perlite. I know water roots are different than soil roots but I have not had luck rooting cuttings that are not minutes old. Day old usually does not work for me.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: starting herbs from cuttings

I also have not done basil from cuttings, since it is so easy from seed. But for me water rooting never works very well and I tend to do all cuttings in potting soil. Put a cover over it to keep humidity in (soda bottle cut in half horizontally works well as a humidity chamber).
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

I root basil when I start up my hydrponics system for the fall/winter, and again for putting them outside, in the spring. I root them in a cloner, so they are water rootings, and I have never had a problem putting them into soil in the spring. And it cuts easily a month off of the time when started from seeds.

I would cut a half inch or so off the end of the stems, since they aren't new. Then, with a very sharp knife, score the stems horizontally about 1/8" apart - I do this on opposite sides, on about an inch of the stem, and these score lines are where the roots show up! I dip them in a cloning gel, and In the cloner I start seeing them in a couple days, and many are ready to transplant in less than a week.
Dave

imafan26
Mod

Thanks, I'll try that. I am changing the water daily. Normally, I do basil from seeds as well, but these were given to me so I am trying to save them.

imafan26
Mod

Well the tops have shrivelled and the stems are brown. I think they are goners. Oh, well, it was worth trying.

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

That's too bad, but it's always worth trying. I root some herbs from the Asian market, and there's no telling how old those are. So it is possible to root older cuttings.
Dave

applestar
Mod

I know this thread started out with OP about basil cuttings, but the thread title fits :D

Here are some cuttings rooted in perlite that I potted up a couple of days ago. They don't look like much but they all have strong roots growing :wink:

Basil, Lavender, and Stevia
image.jpg
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”