GreenEarthGardner
Newly Registered

When the Basil is done....

Hello! Can anyone tell me what they do with their annual herb plants once they are done? I don't mean with the leaves, there are many articles online with what to do with basil leaves. I mean with the actual plants. Do you pull and compost and re-use the dirt next year? I am in first year (cycle) so need some help please.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Yes, the plant can be compost if not diseased. As for dirt, several options. Part depends on size of pot and how much soil. Up to 12" pot is mostly used up by the basil, and you will see roots through out pot. Larger a different story.

I have an enriched dirt pile aka compost. Left over (not diseased) pot stuff goes in there along with veggie scraps. Worms are very happy! I was negligent this past season, but usually by spring start using one side, shift to other with fresh additions. Older side gets sifted to use in ground and pots.
With larger pots I usually leave stems and roots in pot to decompose or whatever. In spring, pull out top few inches, throw that in pile, build up with fresh mix, plant. With this, most of the soil in pot stays untouched. I am working towards a living soil in the containers. Some say it won't work, but I defy that!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree about composting any spent plants that aren't diseased.

My container soil, I "refresh" once a year - dump the soil into a wheelbarrow and mix with equal amount of good new potting mix.

GreenEarthGardner
Newly Registered

Thank you!! Exactly what I needed to know!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”