Srw
Newly Registered

Marjoram wilting

Hello. I'm new to this forum, but I need some help. I have a potted marjoram that is wilting gradually by the stem.

I use a cheap moisture gauge for watering. I usually let it go pretty dry, but stems have wilted whether the soil is wet or dry and watering doesn't seem to have any affect. Each time a stem wilts I have to cut it out because they don't recover. It's mostly been stems in the centre of the plant. The one in the photos actually originates from the centre. The leaves can develop a dusty colouring after a while.

It's winter here, but generally hasn't been going much below 10°C overnight. The plant is on a balcony, getting full sun from roughly around 10am to 5pm. Can be intense on some days. I tried moving it into the shade, but more stems have wilted since then. I've been bringing it inside for the past two nights, mostly to isolate it from my other plants.

I don't know what the stems are supposed to look like, but the larger, woodier ones have bumps on them and on the ones that have wilted, I've noticed the bumps can turn black. I tend to think the worst and conclude they're sclerotia, but I'm hoping someone else can tell me that's normal.
IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1281.jpg

Srw
Newly Registered

Re: Marjoram wilting

Forgot to mention: the plant is pest-free, from what I can see. No sign of aphids, mites, etcetera.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”