ErinWales
Newly Registered

Drooping French Lavender

Hello everyone!

I've recently purchased some potted french lavender, which was already flowering and beautiful at the time of purchase. I repotted the plants into slightly larger pots in well-draining soil (cactus soil). When I took them out of the original pots they seemed to be pretty root-bound so I did my best to loosen the root ball, without doing too much damage to the roots. I live in Los Angeles and the plants get about 3-4 hours of direct afternoon sun each day.

I am experiencing issues with them, however, and I'm not sure what the main problem may be. The lavender heads often droop and some of the leaves are brown and dry. I water probably every 2 days and when I do so usually most of the heads will perk back up, but not all of them. I've been afraid of overwatering because I know they are prone to root rot, but is this a sign that am I under-watering them? I stick my finger into the soil to test that its dry before I water and it usually takes a couple days to completely dry-out.

Any advice? Attaching a photo of droopy heads and brown leaves. Should I trim back brown areas or droopy heads?

THANK YOU!!! Really don't want to kill these guys.
Attachments
They aren't all dry and droopy.
They aren't all dry and droopy.
IMG_9752.JPG
IMG_9753.JPG

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I'm just "guessing" that it's a combination of both too little sun and too little watering. Lavenders really need full-day sun (as in 6-8 hours) to thrive, & while you're right that overwatering kills more of them than underwatering, the fact that your plants seem to perk up a bit when you water them, has me thinking that they need more. The trick will be figuring out a balance of more water vs. the limited sun yours are getting. Unfortunately, another STRONG possibility is that you have a disease situation going on here. "Leaf Wilt Disease" immediately springs to mind since your plant has all the symptoms, & it's fairly common in lavenders. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a cure for it.

ErinWales
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply! I hadn't even looked into anything other than root rot, but seems like leaf wilt could be the culprit.
I'll try a little more watering and see if that helps though too. Maybe I can find another spot to get it some more sun. Unfortunately I'm in an apartment and the window boxes are shaded by a magnolia tree for part of the day.

We'll see... regardless of my lavender's future, thank you again for your reply!

Erin

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

You're very welcome, & I do help your plant recovers.

imafan26
Mod

It might be a little bit of transplant shock too. I usually don't do much more than score roots anymore. I don't try to break apart the root ball too much. Cactus mix is well drained but if it is dissimilar to what the plant was growing in , that might not make it happy either. I also don't put plants out in full sun after I buy them especially if I buy them from a store that has had the plants indoors or under shade for a while. I will put the plant in a more sheltered spot and gradually move them out over a period of a week or so.

ErinWales
Newly Registered

Imafan26, good thought! I considered transport shock as well, but I've never had a plant go through that so I didn't even know what it looked like (but I've also never worked with lavender). It was in a different type of soil and it was thriving in a mostly shaded area of my local Trader Joe's. So, I did introduce it to a totally new environment, and also prob didn't help it much when I tried to loosen the root ball...

I'll just keep an eye on em. Step up my watering... hope they spring back a little. Thank you so much for your advice!

Do you think I should trim back the sprigs that are dry/brown looking?

imafan26
Mod

The dry ones for sure. Actually lavender that is growing like to be cut back regularly to keep it bushy otherwise it gets lanky and woody. Eventually, I move mine out to full sun because they do prefer to be there, I just give them time to acclimate first.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”