GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Thai Basil - To Pinch or Not To Pinch. . . .

. . . . that is the question.

This is the first time I've grown Thai Basil. Was never a fan of its particular flavor in the past, but have been doing a bit more Thai cooking lately, so wanted the authenticity. The small plant I bought last month has bushed out beautifully, but I'm having a problem re: pinching off all of the developing flower spikes. Because they're just so darn attractive!!

I have no problem clipping off the plain white flower spikes of the regular Italian varieties of Basil in order to keep leaf production at its max, but those deep purple/burgundy Thai Basil spikes with the pink flowers set off the plant so beautifully that I'm having a hard time keeping up with bloom clipping.

For anyone who has grown Thai Basil before, does the plant cease leaf production as rapidly as the Italian varieties do if allowed to bloom?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I usually pinch mine, or cut it when I need some for a dish, taking the flowers with the leaves, as the flowers are also good in Thai dishes. I have noticed that they slow down when about 12", but they seem to stay healthier, and greener than Italians when blooming, though I do use them a lot, so maybe the frequent cutting helps.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I wish the spikes & flowers weren't so darn pretty though - lol!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This doesn't help now, sorry......Note to self, grow more next season, some for cooking, some for pretty.
It starts from seed easy, much like regular green. If you do seed starting, can pick up a packet off the rack ( often dubbed Siam basil or something). If you are around here, I have a few left for the market!
Side note, I am not keen on it for using, but agree it is pretty and a pollinator magnet.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Thanks!

Yes, I normally do start Basils (Italian types, Lemon, Lime, etc.) from seed, but was never really interested in the Thai types which is why I just bought one plant from a local nursery. But the flower stalks & blooms are so lovely, I'm just finding myself not wanting to clip them off.

I'm thinking you have the right mindset SusanW - next year I'll grow some for use & some for "pretty". :)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I always have extras - one of those things I can't be without! LOL I even found one that I planted under my pepper cover (the ones I cover that are prone to pepper maggots) - a place where one of the early peppers bit the dust, and I had nothing else except an extra Thai basil, and I stuck it in there. When I uncovered the peppers Sun., it had gotten so big that I didn't realize what it was at first! LOL It obviously liked the higher temp and humidity under there.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”