Susan W
Greener Thumb

Rosemary

I have a question on rosemary, for those of you who grow it, especially the regular and Arp.

We are on the edge of having it winter, usually makes. In the ground can get big, pots more susceptible to temps. General chatter (here and any books) is they need more well draining soil, less water. Here in the midsouth, regular soil, and lots of rain, usually do, spare come cold winters. My experience for ground and pots is they like some watering, and have better leaves.

This season picked up a couple of starts of Arp from a fellow market vendor (he gets plugs, organic). Put both in large pots, and they are happy. One is just one pot away from the regular one, so soil and conditions same. Taste test? Arp is weak at best. I was surprised would be one word.

Any rosemary growers here for comments?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Susan, warm welcome to the forum.

Your question is a little disjointed. I am not sure what you are asking.

I grow Rosemary both in the ground and in pots. In south Louisiana Rosemary grows best in the ground. Perennial and virtually maintenance free.

The Rosemary grown in pots requires much more effort. My potted Rosemary will either flourish or inexplicably die. Go figure.

shadylane
Green Thumb

I too have noticed Rosemary being more favorable to pot bound conditions. I have planted one solo in one area and five in a container. The solo is half the size in height of the pot bound Rosemary. Both have been given plenty of moisture which they seem to like far better than what I had heard of being planted in a sandy loam soil and kept on the drier side.
I'm addicted to both fragrance and taste :)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Many years ago, I tried an Arp, since it is too cold here to keep regular RM outside the entire winter (seems much below 20º for very long does them in). Turns out, it died before the one I left outside, as a test, during a mild winter! I agreed with Susan W - the flavor was just not there. So I had to figure out a way to keep the normal RM outside, as I could never keep them in pots - they quickly became rootbound, and eventually would be wilting daily. So I started covering my plant any time I heard the temp was going to be under 20º for long - first with a large trash can, and when it got too big, with a tarp. I had one last 13 years, and now I have a very large one going on 4 or 5 years, and a small one I started by air layering. Last year, during that horrible winter, I took some of my hoops, and made a hoop house with clear plastic, and put a 250w heater inside, to turn on when the temp came way down. This kept them alive - not looking great, but they recovered fast.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Great comments, thank you, and don't stop now! There is a difference or variation in comments from those who GROW it, and those who read about it. I try to keep several going....just in case. The comments on Arp re-affirm what I was thinking. I'll keep the 2 I have, in large pots. Now I want to try Tuscan, and in checking see it may not make in our zone 7. Sigh.

Marlin, you brought out the chuckle, Thanks! Agreed, I grow more herbs than most here, but that doesn't make me an expert, far from it. Hopefully I won't stop learning and sharing until I am Under the daisies.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”