turbs
Newly Registered

Unknown Herb

Recently, I've taken up Herb gardening as a way to help prepare better dishes. So, I've set up two large pots outside. I\ve bought seeds for Lemon Mints (also known as Lemon Beebalm) and Catnip (for my pet). after several weeks, I realized I've made a mistake.
I did plant both Lemon Beebalm and Catnip in two separate pots, a few different plants have grown in each pot. In fact, the Lemon Beebalm seeds were planted in the Left pot and Catnip in the right. However, only one unknown plant was in the left, and both, the Lemon Beebalm and the catnip, grew in the right pot.
This is where I need help.
these are the leaves of the unknown plant from the left: https://I.imgur.com/sn2DoZG.jpg
this is the plant itself: https://I.imgur.com/KqdnjMI.jpg
If someone out there could help me Identify it, that'd be nice.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This is interesting...perhaps a ragweed?
Where are you located? Helps in any discussion of plants, and best put in your profile.

I have grown the lemon mint, along with many other herbs and native plants. The one you have is usually considered an annual, native to the Appalachians. Monarda citriodora aka lemon mint aka lemon bee balm aka lemon bergamot. It grows shorter than its bee balm cousins, and I have it mainly for the blooms.

turbs
Newly Registered

Susan W wrote:This is interesting...perhaps a ragweed?
Where are you located? Helps in any discussion of plants, and best put in your profile.

I have grown the lemon mint, along with many other herbs and native plants. The one you have is usually considered an annual, native to the Appalachians. Monarda citriodora aka lemon mint aka lemon bee balm aka lemon bergamot. It grows shorter than its bee balm cousins, and I have it mainly for the blooms.
I live in Northern Indiana, close to Lake Michigan, if that helps.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

That's neither "Lemon Mint" nor "Catnip". Looks like it could possibly be wild Lambs Quarters, an edible weed that perhaps had a seed or two in your potting or seed mix.

turbs
Newly Registered

GardeningCook wrote:That's neither "Lemon Mint" nor "Catnip". Looks like it could possibly be wild Lambs Quarters, an edible weed that perhaps had a seed or two in your potting or seed mix.
it is! After examining the plant in closer detail, I can safely say is Lamb's Quarters. Thank you.

Marixa

You can eat this plant, it's good :) I use it in sandwiches and salads.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”