scottp0705
Newly Registered

Slug Infested Basil! Safe to eat?

So, my basil has been growing great in a shared clay pot with oregano. I never thought I would say it, but both plants are growing faster than I can use them.

About two weeks ago I started noticing some holes and missing sides in nearly all of the leaves. Last weekend I went out there to do some watering and I saw a nice little slug making his way across a leaf. I'm assuming the slugs are the sole culprit. I've done some research on resolving the slug issue, so I think I am ok there (although I would always love input on what has worked best for others).

My real question, that I have not been able to find answers to anywhere, is if the basil that is partially eaten by slugs is safe to consume? I am assuming it is as long as it is washed thoroughly, but I would like to get a definitive answer. Thanks!

scottp0705
Newly Registered

Thanks, Marlin! So do you think it is not the case that the slugs are in the soil in the pot? But rather they are coming from outside of the pot?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Yes - the slugs are living outside the pot, not in the soil. Most prevalent at night & during daytime rains, they find cover from the sun underneath, mulch, sticks, stones, etc.

Anything they've munched on is perfectly safe to eat; with well-established plants the damage is mainly cosmetic. And honestly - as disgusting as it sounds, even if you accidentally consumed the slug itself, it wouldn't poison you.

scottp0705
Newly Registered

Thanks, GardeningCook! The fact that slugs (at least some kinds) are edible is why I figured the eaten basil was ok to eat. Thanks for the confirmation.

Since I removed the 1 slug I found, I haven't really seen much damage. I wonder if it was just that one. I'll hold off on any salting techniques until it becomes a problem again. Thanks!

imafan26
Mod

I would still pull the plant out of the pot and check the bottom of the root ball. Slugs and snails like to eat plant roots too and they like to hide in the pot drain holes. I have to line some of my pots with window screen to keep them out.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:I would still pull the plant out of the pot and check the bottom of the root ball. Slugs and snails like to eat plant roots too and they like to hide in the pot drain holes. I have to line some of my pots with window screen to keep them out.
I don't think that's going to be as much of a problem in Chicago as it might be in Hawaii. I've been growing vegetables & herbs in pots for decades now in both NY & VA & have yet to find slugs or snails bother with getting into the bottoms of my pots. I certainly wouldn't uproot an established plant just to check for them.

Jodie
Newly Registered

Yes, but it needs to be washed really, really well (with water), as slugs and snails can in fact carry diseases which can spread to humans (contrary to popular belief), in particular, rat lungworm. This is particularly an issue in warmer areas (including Hawaii, Sydney, etc.), but I'd still wash thoroughly in cooler areas to be on the safe side. Boiling the produce for 2-3 minutes or freezing for a couple of days can also kill the lungworm parasites. Infection from veggies/herbs is rare, but extremely serious and life threatening when it does occur, especially in children. Pets can also be affected (more commonly by directly eating the snail). Yet another reason to control snails - ugh (using wildlife/pet-safe, organic methods of course)! Here are a couple of useful resources on rat lungworm... one a summary of info, and the other a research paper:
https://theconversation.com/kids-put-dow ... worm-50183
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3689494/
Hope that helps!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”