Igotworms
Cool Member

Chocolate mint

I have two honeyberry bushes that I just put it this spring. they are about 4' apart and I planted chocolate mint between them. I know the mint will spread but will my honeyberry bushes be ok? should I move the mint?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

The vast majority of mints are strongly invasive, but growing conditions can predict exactly how strongly. If the area is in full sun, that Chocolate Mint is going to take off like gangbusters. Partial sun/shade, maybe not so much. Only you are going to be able to tell. Definitely keep tabs on everything, & if it looks like the mint is getting out of hand, start mint-weeding regularly. Either remove it all or continuously keep it under control.

imafan26
Mod

Mint of all kinds will climb up around objects. It is best to keep the mint trimmed and away from the trunks.

Igotworms
Cool Member

thanks for the help! I'll be sure to keep it away from the honeyberry plants.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Mint of all kinds will climb up around objects. It is best to keep the mint trimmed and away from the trunks.
I don't know about that. I've been growing several varieties of mint for many years (spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint, apple mint, pineapple mint, pennyroyal, etc.) & have yet to have a one present itself as vining. Do they spread quickly & severely by underground roots? Yes. Can they strangle adjoining plants via this? Yes. Do they vine up & climb adjoining plants? No.

Tohnar
Newly Registered

We have mint and it takes over. It's great for an area that you do not want to have to maintain alot. We have ours around a tree and have yet to see it climb like a vine.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”