Gardener123
Green Thumb

Does thyme pretty much live forever?

I have had the same Thyme plant in my garden for 4 years. The thing is HUGE. It still tastes good. But I am thinking that there must be some expected lifespan. And, honestly, I was shocked it even came back this year as we had a truly frigid winter..... so many days in the teens for high temps. Even had - 5 degrees a couple of times.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Thyme is considered a shrubby perennial. Like all perennials it depends on care and it's particular life span can vary under growing conditions. Looks like you have succeeded, congrats!

imafan26
Mod

I wish mine would last that long.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

shadylane wrote:Thyme is considered a shrubby perennial. Like all perennials it depends on care and it's particular life span can vary under growing conditions. Looks like you have succeeded, congrats!

All I did was plant it.... I don't even do anything to it. We barely even harvest it unless I am making jerk sauce or making some poultry dish. :D

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

My thyme and sage - both several years old - were killed by that horrible winter I had last year, the worst since '93. Tarragon, chives, and garlic chives - my other perennial herbs - came up earlier than usual! You just never know...

applestar
Mod

I think thyme rejuvenates itself by setting down roots when conditions are favorable.

meshmouse

I once killed a nice bed of thyme. I think it was because I cropped it down too far. Probably taking all or most of that year's growth. Next spring, all dead. Altho, that bed was probably 5-6 years old when it happened. Maybe it would've died anyway. I don't know.

regarding what pepperhead212 said (you're in 6b, I'm in 7a, pretty close and both NJ and NY had a brutal winter). My thyme and sage came back normally in spring (in fact, neither ever really died back). Just lucky I guess or maybe something else was at play? - meshmouse

applestar
Mod

Ha! I don't think I finished my thought there -- if you bury or mulch thyme as they grow, they will set down roots earlier in the season to the depths that will withstand the winter. Older plants can lose vigor, so by continuously keeping new clones forming, the older part of the colony might die but the younger, more vigorous plants could survive.

That said, typically my efforts aren't all that directed -- when I get tired of harvesting thyme, or when the leaves get unsightly from some pest or other to the point of not wanting to harvest them any more. I just bury the middle of the longer stems. *This also happens by chance* when I let bigger weeds grow in the midst and I pull them out and shake off the dirt. :>

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Does it really matter? Enjoy you herbs. If you are concerned about death divide the roots and start new colonies.

Good luck

meshmouse

applestar -

I've had similar experiences. Altho I've never mulched my beds, I think that might happen naturally as they are on slopes (trying to use it as groundcover). I can say this; the bed expands each year and I've never seen it die back at all, neither the new nor the old growth. I don't know, just my observations.

Right around this time of year is when I normally harvest a bit and dig out a few plugs and plant them where I want it to expand. Those plugs fill in thru the rest of the season. I can say that it doesn't care whether it grows up or down hill, it will creep to the dominant light. It also does much better in partial shade than full sun.

I've also seen very little sign of pests on either the thyme or the sage. Makes me wonder if they might not be good repellants to add to the hot pepper/garlic spray? - meshmouse

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Thyme - like all the perennial Mediterranean herbs in particular - will thrive or not depending on the growing conditions from year to year.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”