littleurbanfarm
Newly Registered

Basil was growing great...

Hello!

I planted a seedling basil in early spring, and it was growing great! It sprang up quickly and had lots of dark green, healthy leaves. About a month ago, I harvested about 6-8 "bunches" from the tops of the stems to cook with, and ever since then, the growth has slowed considerably, and now the leaves are turning a yellowish and just don't look as healthy (see pics).
IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1714.JPG
I did fertilize about a month ago and recently brought it into the corner of my patio where it's getting part sun (my patio gets FULL sun). I water it everyday.

Any thoughts on why the growth is slowing and yellowing may be happening? Do I need to harvest? Is the pot too small?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Too much water. I think you're killing your plant with kindness. Instead of scheduling an "every day" watering, stick your finger into the soil to see if watering is necessary. Unless an inch or two down is dry, watering is not necessary. Also - basil can take & actually enjoys full sun. Part sun + too much water is most likely what's causing your problems.

As far as pot size - how large is the pot?

littleurbanfarm
Newly Registered

That's great advise, thanks GardeningCook :-) I was nervous that the plant would be scorched as the temperatures rise, but I think I'll transition it back to full sun and cut back on watering.

The pot is pretty small, I'd say maybe a half gallon.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Quarters might be a little cramped, but basil isn't a long-term crop to begin with. You could move this set of seedlings to a larger pot, or easily start another pot with seed to take the place of this one once it starts winding down leaf production.

Aqua Jon

I am having a similar issue - not trying to hijack the original post. If your basil has started winding down leaf production, do you let it flower and replant those seeds? Or just continually pinch of the flower buds.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

No - keep pinching off the flowers. By the time the current seed ripens enough for re-sowing, you could have another crop already sprouting from purchased seed, & this time of year basil seed is still readily available.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agreed... it is amazingly slow for basil to set and ripen seed. I like to collect my own seed and to let some drop to self seed (though basil doesn't re-seed itself well), so I do let some go, but it is end of summer before I have ripe seed.

But basil cared for properly and kept harvested, should not be "winding down production," especially not this early in the season. My spring planted basil keeps going all the way until the first fall frost.

applestar
Mod

It looks to me like there are way more plants in that pot than there should be. 1/2 gallon pot may or may not be big enough for ONE basil plant. Basil is a pretty heavy feeder too, so most likely the nutrients are depleted and the roots may have filled the container already? 8-10" pot (about 1 gallon) minimum per plant, I think. Depends on the depth of the container.

Since basil can be propagated/cloned from cuttings, they are pretty forgiving of rough handling. Next time you water, completely saturate the pot, then slip them out of the pot (turn upside down supporting the soil with fingertips and thunk pot edge on hard surface (table edge) if necessary. Then wiggle and separate the plants and uppot into separate containers, or plant them at least 8-10" apart in much larger container or a windowbox.

Aqua Jon

I see, thank you each for your advice! I am so green at this :( I believe applestar has answered my next question as I have 6-8 plants in a 5 gallon container... I have a LOT to learn!

So to littleurbanfarmer, rescue your basil before you stress them out.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Actually, while I agree that your basil plants are looking a little crowded, in my many years' experience there is no need to try to separate all the little plants singly & plant them singly into separate pots. Way too much fiddly-diddly & most likely to reward you with sad little plants. Ridiculous.

Over decades I've always sown basil (all types) in groups & planted them out in groups as well - both in-ground & in containers. Have always ended up with bushy bunches that thrive & produce leaves heavily till the first full frost.

Don't make this more difficult than it has to be. :wink:

Aqua Jon

West facing balcony, potted ~3 months ago, miracle grow potting mix, watered 2-3 times a week if dry. Liquid fertilizer added to water once a month.

Notice I can grow things and not a black thumb *points at mint in background. Have also had success with plumeria, even rooting a cutting.

applestar
Mod

What size container do you usually use for basil @gardeningcook? Do you water by hand or automated? In full sun, I think larger container would be better since you get a bit of a buffer between getting a bit dry to completely dry.

If separating seems too difficult, you can always plunk the whole mass in a much bigger container after loosening the roots a bit so they aren't wrapping around anymore. But key to separating for most non-woody plants is to water well before and after, and putting them in a bit of shade or dappled sun for a couple of days until they recover.

@aquajon, with 5 gal buckets, sometimes you run into trouble because they are so deep/tall. The top layer of potting mix has dried while the bottom of the container is still wet. Until the plants have grown sufficiently deep roots, it sometimes requires a delicate balance. I've starting experimenting with making holes halfway up the bucket. 1" holes turned out to be too big, but 1/4" holes can get plugged up. I'm going to try cutting vertical slits next.

imafan26
Mod

You can take basil cuttings and root them from healthy plants. My experience though has been that the plant still knows how old it is and bolts the same time as the original stock.

I agree there are too many plants in that pot, but I think it hold more than 1/2 gallon of soil, that would be like a 6 inch pot.

Full sun, a deeper and wider pot and less watering should work best.

I do like to use tubs. I like the size of the galvanized wash tubs, but they do get hot so I have to inslate them with styrofoam or put other pots around it as a shield against the hot sun. If you can find something of a similar shape and depth it is perfect though. I do use 18 gallon muck buckets they can go on sale for $3.00 sometimes. They don't last more than 3 or 4 years, but for $3 it is a bargain. Those containers are great for tomatoes and beans.

https://www.behrensmfg.com/products/tubs/10-5

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”