drh146
Cool Member

harvesting cilantro seeds

I have a large cilantro patch that I had growing throughout the winter. the heat has now made it bolt, flower, and some even have seed buds (green) but have not turned brown yet.
The area that the cilantro is will be used for tomatoes and peppers after I harvest the seeds. Because of this, I'm itching to get the large flowering cilantro out to get something new in its place.
At what point can I cut down and take out flowering cilantro and still get it to form seeds that are useable? if I must wait until they are brown, how soon after they become brown will they be good to use to grow new plants this fall?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I've harvested Cilantro seed (aka Coriander) for both replanting & culinary use when the seed heads are completely brown & dry on the plant & not before.

applestar
Mod

I think you will want to wait at least until the seeds are completely spherical (initially they look kind of oblong) and hard when held between fingers.

I plant BETWEEN existing growing plants all the time. This lets me use the garden beds more efficiently instead.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Oh, & one more thing about harvesting coriander seeds - freeze them before use. Don't want to gross you out, but the seeds are sometimes invaded by a small weevil-type insect. If you want to take the time, you'll find this out by examining the seeds & finding a tiny little pinpoint hole in them. Freezing will kill the invaders, but then on the whole it's up to you as to whether or not you want to use the seed at all.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”