LuckyBamboo
Newly Registered

Searching for Bushy Herbs to Create a Living Fence

Greetings everyone, we are in the planning stage of some backyard landscaping. Our backyard has a steep and abrupt slope going down about 10 feet. We are planning on terracing it a few levels and use the lower levels for vegetable gardening, but I am looking for ideas for bushy-type herbs that I can plant along the top edge of the slope to use as a living fence rather than putting up a wood or plastic fence.

Right now the edge is lined with non-trellised grape vines. They are neat, but we are not winemakers, so I think they ought to go. We find herbs more useful.

Lavender and rosemary come to mind, but other than that I don't know what other options I have. It's easily 50ft length, and I would like to plant as much of a variety as possible. I prefer edible plants over ornamental plants, but would be okay with a mix of both if I find the right ones.

I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest, the backyard is fully South-facing.

applestar
Mod

I think top of a south facing slope would definitely be the place where you would want to grow the Mediterranean herbs that prefer well drained, non soggy soil.

So in addition to rosemary and lavender, what about marjoram, oregano, sage, thyme, and perhaps summer and winter savory and tarragon, too, seem appropriate. If warm enough in winter -- bay laurel? Some dwarf citrus perhaps? If they are not winter hardy in your area, you could grow them in containers and set them on pavers -- that would add to the height.

Oh! Don't forget figs. :D

LuckyBamboo
Newly Registered

Thanks so much. Researching all these now!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”