Strandman
Newly Registered

Mint leaves are yellow with brown spots

Hello this is my first post. A few months ago I purchased a small Spearmint plant. It's grown very quickly and became very bushy. Now it seems to be getting thin and some of the leaves are turning yellow and with brown spots. Is it because those leaves were not getting enough sun? Could it be something else? I haven't trimmed it at all because I wanted to let it get as large as possible before using the leaves next month. Should the yellow leaves be pulled off? When I want to use leaves is it better to clip them off or just pull them off? Should I clip a few leaves from each stem or clip off a stem? If I clip a few leaves from a stem will that stem continue to produce more leaves? Going forward are there any suggestions or guidelines managing the plant or clipping it? Thank you for any helpful information.
Attachments
mint 1.jpg
mint 2.jpg
mint 3.jpg
mint 4.jpg

bkop1996
Newly Registered

This video answers most of your questions about trimming the mint. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ1QCOu1dp0

As far as the discolored leaves go, there are a few possible reasons why. Firstly, it could be root bound, meaning the roots are too tightly packed, and not adequatly sucking up nutrients, and possibly water as well. I would recommend moving it to a larger pot. Your mint is very large and beautiful, but I think it could really benefit from a transplant into something bigger.

The other possible cause for the yellowing is a nutrient deficiency. Which one? I do not know, possibly nitrogen. try lightly feeding them with a complete fertilizer, and maybe add some rock dust as well. I use rock dust for all of my plants, potted and directly sown. I think they really benefit from the extra burst of micronutrients :)

Other than that good job!! your babies look healthy! I would love to make some tea out of those leaves! haha

hope this helps,
Cheers!

Strandman
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for the reply. I read it back then but just hadn't sat down to say thank you until now. Thank you.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”