gingi911
Newly Registered

green pepper basil ( ocimum selloi ) ,have you heard of it ?

hey
in searching for new cultivars of basil for my collection I stumble across an article about green pepper basil and I was Immediately intrigued.
apparently it is a basil that has the smell and taste of both regular basil and bell pepper and the plant resemble a pepper plant more than a basil plant.

have you ever heard of it?
do you have any experience with it?
do you know where I can buy some seeds?

Thanks in advance :)

tinker4u
Newly Registered

I bought a green paper basil plant last summer. It's in a pot and I was pleased that it wintered over nicely. The flavor is unique and I have only found one recipe (corn soup with green paper basil). The recipe uses only 2 to 3 teaspoons of the basil.
I didn't collect seeds last year but I have quite a few volunteers coming up in the pot. I will save seeds next season. If you haven't found some seeds or plants between now and then I could mail some to you.

gingi911
Newly Registered

thanks, I only found one place that sells seeds and ship internationally and they also have a few more basil varieties that I don't have.
I'm going to order the green pepper basil and some other varieties around the end of the winter so I will be ready to plant the seeds at the beginning of the spring , my only problem is that I don't have enough space :cry: .

I would like to know if that basil really taste like bell pepper?

by the way that website is called companion plants ( https://companionplants.com )

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”